nineteen

I woke up the next morning with his arms still around me. I smiled and moved to look up at his face. He was already awake, his eyes up at the ceiling.

Today was the day he'd been planning for. Today was when all his plans took full form in front of his eyes. He glanced at me, a small smile pulling at his lips.

"Good morning," he mumbled, kissing my head.

"Morning," I replied.

After a few moments, we got up. I sat on the bed for a second before walking over to my clothes. I had reworn every dress at this point and hated the idea of wearing one again. Especially for the events that were hours away. Enjolras had disappeared as I went to pull out a dress, but reappeared almost immediately.

"You think I'm going to make you wear a corset?" he asked. I turned around to see him leaning on the doorframe, his red coat draped over his arm.

"I have to wear it."

He smiled and walked toward me, taking the strings in his hands.

"You're not going to tighten it all the way?"

"My best fighter needs full range of motion, doesn't she?" He smirked at me and kissed my cheek.

I turned back to my things and pulled a white shirt out. I put it on and let the strings on the neckline hang free. Next came the greenish colored skirt, which Enjolras graciously tied. I put on the one bell I had stolen from a boy's shop and turned to face Enjolras, putting my hands on my hips. He looked over me and pulled me into a kiss, his fingers playing with my hair. I smiled into the kiss before pulling away.

"Just couldn't help yourself, could you?"

"Of course not."

He turned around quickly, turning back to me with a wide smile and something clutched in his fist. I eyed him curiously as he pulled me toward him.

"Close your eyes," he said. So I did. I felt him mess with my shirt slightly before backing away. I opened my eyes and looked down. There sat a rosette pin that everyone wore. I smiled at him, not wanting to leave this room because if we did, we'd never be the same.

His smile seemed to fade at the same time as mine. He stared at me, everything becoming too real for either of us. He grabbed his coat and threw it on before taking my hand. We walked out of the house in silence.

The procession would start soon and we needed to locate the boys in order to make the plan fully functional. As we arrived, Marius walked up beside us. He grabbed my arm and walked beside me. The idea was now becoming a reality and I had no clue how to handle it. This felt like a dream.

We pushed to the front of the crowd, watching as more people showed up to pay their respects. Enjolras had a red flag hidden in his coat and both of them had pistols hidden. I took a deep breath in as the procession began. Soon we would be overthrowing it, placing large targets on our backs. Enjolras quickly placed a kiss on the side of my head before turning his eyes back onto the oncoming carriage.

The drums of the procession got louder and louder as they neared us. I looked around at Les Amis, their faces strong with determination. Enjolras took a deep breath beside me and started the plan.

"Do you hear the people sing? Singing the song of angry men."

Those who knew, joined in. Those who didn't, watched on in confusion.

"It is the music of the people who will not be slaves again," I joined in, holding my head up high. Our voices were just loud enough to be heard as more people joined us. "When the beating of your heart echoes the bearing of the drums. There is a life about to start when tomorrow comes." I grabbed onto Enjolras' hand beside me as he reached for the flag concealed in his jacket. The procession was nearly upon us as we spoke. "Will you join in our crusade who will be strong and stand with me? Beyond the barricade is there a world you long to see?" The carriage rolled up in front of us and Enjolras squeezed my hand tightly as he raised his flag. He and Marius emerged from the crowd, signaling the others to do the same.