eleven

Enjolras' eyes were still locked on mine as the boys cheered loudly, conversing together.

"Give me a brandy on my breath and I'll breathe them all to death!" I heard Grantaire say loudly, earning a chuckle and slap on the neck.

"Twenty rifles good as new!" Feuilly yelled out. Enjolras took a step toward me, not sparing a second glance at Marius, whom he had passed. He walked slowly, ignoring the madness around us. I felt my heartbeat quicken and for some reason my mind was going fuzzy under his gaze. He shouldered past Combeferre and was now a few more steps away from me. The look in his eye was foreign to me and I could feel my pride crumble more and more by the second. He opened his mouth to say something, but was quickly interrupted by Gavroche, who had sprinted back up the stairs.

"Listen everyone!" he yelled, standing on a chair. I broke away from Enjolras' gaze and looked toward the small boy. "General Lamarque is dead!"

I felt all the air in the room go thin and everyone went silent, looking at Enjolras almost immediately. Even I turned to him, curious as to what this meant for us. He looked at me for a second more before meeting eyes with everyone in the room.

"Lamarque," he said. "His death is the hour of fate. The people's man. His death is the sign we await!" My stomach felt like a tight knot as the words left his lips. I stared at him as everyone started to get riled up. I looked at Marius, who offered a small smile to me. I stood tall. This was what I had been wanting to be a part of. This was what I wanted.

"On his funeral day they will honor his name with the light of rebellion ablaze in their eyes," Enjolras continued. "With their candles of grief, we will kindle our flame. On the tomb of Lamarque shall our barricade rise." The boys stared at him, their eyes filled with fire and hunger as Enjolras spoke. I watched as he held his chin high like I had seen him do on several occasions. I folded my arms across my chest and listened, feeling the same fire the boys had in their eyes.

"The time is here. Let us welcome it gladly with courage and cheer. Let us take to the streets with no doubt in our hearts," he looked around the room. His eyes caught mine briefly before they traveled on to Marius. "With a jubilant shout. They will come one and all."

I stared at him, something I couldn't seem to stop doing today. That's when he looked back at me with a strong look in his eye.

"They will come when we call!" we all shouted. I turned away from Enjolras and looked at Gavroche, who beamed at me. I placed a hand on top of his head and just looked at his face.

"Oh!" he exclaimed, grabbing my hand. "Someone outside was asking for you, Hyacinth." My body tensed and the room went almost completely silent. My face fell as I stared into his eyes.

"Who? Can you tell me what they looked like?" I quizzed, turning quickly to lock eyes with Marius. Enjolras, shockingly, was standing closer to me than I thought he was. Marius joined him and gripped my shoulder tightly.

"She had your hair color. Not too red, not too blonde. She also had your color eyes. A pretty greenish brown."

"Is there anything else?" I asked, praying the woman he was describing was not my mother. Gavroche nodded and closed his eyes, recounting his memory.

"She wore a nice blue dress and her hair was curly, like yours." I sighed in relief, hearing him describe Cécile. Mother had stick straight hair and she never wore colors other than green or white. I nodded at him, letting myself smile at him. I turned to Marius and Enjolras, realizing everyone in the room had turned to watch my interaction with Gavroche.

"He's just described Cécile," I said. "I will go to her. I won't be long." I turned for the stairs, but a hand caught my arm tightly. I whipped around and met eyes with Enjolras.