twenty one

I woke up to Enjolras shaking me. I came to my senses as everyone was waking themselves up, grabbing guns and counting ammunition. Marius came toward us, a worried expression on his face. My heart pounded as I stood up. Marius grabbed my shoulder and looked at Enjolras.

"We're almost out of ammunition," he said. I looked over at him as everyone around us was gathering as much as they could. Enjolras sighed and looked back up at the barricade.

"We're the only ones left," he mumbled. Both Marius and I's eyes snapped to him as the words left his mouth.

"What do you mean?" I asked, knowing exactly what he meant. But, I didn't want to believe it.

"We're the only barricade left." He looked at me. I could see the panic in his eyes before it had even gone into his body. Everyone around us paused and looked at him. I made eye contact with Courfeyrac, who was standing in the doorway of the café.

"The people have not stirred. We're abandoned by those who still live in fear," Enjolras said, addressing the group. "Let us not waste lives. Let all who wish to go from here." He looked at me and I knew exactly what he was asking me. I shook my head as he walked toward me.

"I'm not leaving if that's what you're suggesting," I said.

"Cinth, you've already been shot. I cannot let you risk anything more," he mumbled, putting a hand on my cheek.

"I'm not leaving you here. I'm staying."

He sighed and looked at Marius, a pleading look in his eye. Marius then glanced at me. Would he ask me to leave? He was the one who wanted me to join in the first place.

"I think he-"

"Do you hear the people sing? Singing the song of angry men," Gavroche interrupted, sitting on top of the barricade. I looked at him as he held his head high. "It is the music of the people who will not be slaves again."

A couple people joined in with him, standing up straight. I looked at Enjolras and walked away from him, taking my place at the barricade. Courfeyrac patted my shoulder and nodded at me when I looked at him. He was seeming to say something words could not express. His eyes were sad but still hopeful all at the same time.

"When the beating of your heart echoes the beating of the drum. There is a life about to start when tomorrow comes."

I flashed the boy a smile before walking toward Grantaire, who stood at the base of the barricade. I grabbed a gun on the way over and stood at his side.

"In case this is it," he mumbled. "I admire your fire."

I looked over at him and placed my hand on top of his. There was a universal feeling of this being the last fight. Some were hopeful, but most were exchanging their last words with friends. I huffed and turned to Gavroche.

But he wasn't there.

"Where's Gavroche?" I asked quietly. Grantaire hummed and looked up, his body stiffening when he realized he was gone.

"Where's Gavroche?" I yelled. Everyone turned to me, panic rising. I climbed the barricade and looked in every crack he could get into. Grantaire was close behind me and soon I spotted him. I nudged Grantaire as he came up beside me.

"Gavroche!" he whispered, motioning for him to come in. All the boy did was smile and hand us ammunition. I took it hesitantly and handed it to Grantaire.

"Gavroche, get back here," I said, sticking my hand out to him. Then, I caught eyes with Anthony. My heart dropped as they all stood with guns raised. "Gavroche!" I repeated with more urgency in my voice.