six

I stumbled backward, worried that my mother might have notified him of my disappearance. I watched him as he approached with a firm expression. Everyone went still, the boys had stopped their shouting and held their breath. If he heard anything there was a large chance we were done for before it even began. Javert walked around the people, examining everyone with intense stares. In a second, he was in front of me. He looked me over and I held my breath, looking for Marius over his shoulder. But he was nowhere to be found. My heart pounded as he stayed in front of me.

This was it. My efforts were done. I'd never see the light of day ever again.

He placed a hand on my shoulder and turned to a few soldiers. Thats when my eyes met his. I sucked in a harsh breath as he walked toward me. My shoulders tensed as Javert stepped aside. The crowd had gone completely silent, their eyes on me as the scene played out. In my head, he walked to me and grabbed me by the arm, dragging me back to my mother and insisting we marry so he can keep me in line. My eyes met Marius' over Anthony's shoulder and he walked behind me to where I could only assume Enjolras still stood. I looked around for any sign of my mother, but she was nowhere. She had vanished just as quickly as she had appeared. My stomach was in a knot as the two men stared at me for what felt like decades.

"Mademoiselle Hyacinth," he said, grabbing my hand. My free hand grabbed a fistful of my dress and I tried not to seem as tense as I was. I knew none of my efforts were working, but I kept trying.

"Monsieur," I mumbled. My head bowed slightly and I stared at his shoes, avoiding his eyes.

"Walk with me," he said, switching to take my other hand. He began walking and I looked back at Marius, who stood next to Enjolras. Marius looked how I expected him to when he discovered who exactly my mother had picked. But Enjolras' face shocked me. He watched, his jaw clenched.

He looked angry.

I had to look forward again when the two disappeared behind the crowd. I took a breath and tried not to think about where we were going. I didn't want to know what was to come of me. We neared a carriage and Anthony looked over at me. His face was hard to figure out. He always looked angry at something. I leaned as far away from him as I could without making it too noticeable. He walked us toward the carriage door and pulled it open, holding a hand out the help me in. I stared at his hand for a moment, hesitating. I could tell he was taking me home and I wasn't sure if I could make it far enough away from him if I ran. So, I took his hand and climbed inside, sitting on the soft seat. He sat down in front of me and pulled the carriage door closed. I half expected my mother to be inside the carriage when I climbed in, but thankfully that was not the case. Anthony looked at me sternly. His composure had changed and fear set into my veins. He had been masking his face in the public eye and that mask was falling. I leaned back into the seat and felt my hands shake.

"Why were you there?" he quizzed, an angry look in his eye.

"I was just in the town, I wanted to look at the stands," I lied.

"Hyacinth, I advise you to tell me the truth. I know what went on there. You think I don't know what they're planning?" His voice was rising in volume as the carriage went off.

"I don't know-"

"Do not lie!" he yelled, slamming his fist down on the seat. I jumped at his outburst and stared at him, his eyes tearing into my skin. "They are planning their own deaths. You listen to them, and you will die. You will die at the hands of a soldier. Your role as a woman is not to get mixed up in those poorly organized plans. Your role is to stay home, be a good wife, and bear children. It is now apparent to me that you do not know your place. You are irrational, hard to control, and disobedient. Mark my words, Hyacinth, I will make you my wife and you will learn to take orders from me!" He was screaming by the end of his speech. My heart pounded as he got closer to my face. "Do you hear me?"