twelve

I sat in Marius' apartment in silence. It had been two days since I spoke to Cécile about the situation. There was no word on Lamarque's funeral and Enjolras had grown anxious about it. He spent the meetings silently rummaging through every single thing he had written. I enjoyed watching him as he did so, examining the way he bent over them and blocked out everything that was going on around him.

The door swung open and Marius stepped in, jacket in hand. The sun had set hours ago but he had insisted on speaking with some girl to find out where his love was hidden. He'd had no luck so far and I could tell tonight was no different. He slouched into the his cushioned chair and looked up at me.

"Still nothing?" I asked.

"Still nothing."

I sighed and pushed the blanket off my legs, standing up from the bed. I walked toward him and placed a hand on his hand.

"She's doing much more harm than good," I mumbled. He glared at me, his jaw clenching. "I'm sorry but it's the truth! Look at you, stumbling around like a fool. I am happy that you've found love, I am, but-"

"But what, Hyacinth?" he snapped. My mouth hung open as I stared at him in shock. I pulled my hand away and turned from him. I heard him sigh as I sat back down in the bed. "I'm sorry," he said. I looked at him silently. "Enough about me. I need to ask you something."

I raised an eyebrow as I tried to read his expression. This could go so many ways and there were a few ways I didn't want it to go.

"Have you discovered love yet?" he asked, a smile fighting to sit on his lips.

Of course thats what he asks.

"No. Why would you ask?" I said.

"Hyacinth, I do not understand how you can be so blind," he chuckled. I furrowed my eyebrows and studied his eyes.

"How am I blind? What magnificent thing do you see that I apparently do not?"

"Have you not noticed the way En-" Something pounded on the apartment door. My eyes widened and my shoulders tensed. Marius held a finger to his lips and slowly stood, walking to the door.

"Marius Pontmercy!" an all too familiar voice yelled. I looked at Marius in pure terror as I recognized his voice. Anthony must have asked my mother about where I could possibly be. It was too obvious to stay with Marius. Anthony pounded on the door yet again as Marius rushed to grab a piece of paper. He scribbled some words down on it and handed it to me. I stood as he started throwing my things into the bag I had arrived with.

"I'm going to open the window," he whispered. "You run to that address. Do not look back, Hyacinth." The pounding got louder as Anthony grew more impatient. I took my bag from his hands as he went to the window. He pushed it open and helped me out. Then, he quickly shut it and watched as I climbed my way to the ground. I ran as fast as I could, reading the address over and over again. I had no clue where he was sending me. No clue who I'd meet at the door. But I wasn't too focused on it. He clearly knew exactly where to send me within a second. So, I did not question. I trusted that he would keep me safe and kept my mind on the paper in my hands.

I had slowed down due to the distance I had been running, but as I read the buildings I knew I was coming close. My heart pounded as I thought about where Anthony might be now. My head spun as I imagined him harming Marius in his own home.

I looked up at the building in front of me. The address matched, so I took slow steps toward the door. I balled up my fist and slammed it onto the wooden door, turned around to scan the surroundings. I saw a shadow along the stone path and my heart raced. My mind went through all the different ways this could play out. He could kill me on the street, he could drag me home and kill me there, or he could take me home for my mother to kill me. The choice was his, and that frightened me.