thirteen

I sat between Marius and Enjolras silently, my eyes locked on Gavroche as he giggled with Combeferre quietly. Marius was hovering over a leaflet that Enjolras had passed him. The plan was to hand them out. We had selected a group of people to journey into the town and hand them out to the people.

Of course, I was not one of them.

I hated it. I watched as those who would be sent out read over their papers and held the stack in their hands. I huffed and folded my arms, looking at Marius' paper.

"Sighing isn't going to make me send you out," Enjolras said from beside me. I rolled my eyes at his words and leaned my head back.

"I can handle myself," I argued.

"I do not doubt it, but we're not risking it." I looked at him with an angry look in my eyes and tried to convince him to let me go out. Marius had agreed with his decision but I knew Marius would be against me walking the streets.

"I will be quick. I'll just hand the papers and leave," I said.

"My mind has been made up. No amount of you getting on my nerves will change it," he said. I groaned and leaned onto the table. He chuckled at me and put a hand on the table next to me.

"I admire your determination."

"You admire me?" I said, looking up. I raised my eyebrows and smirked as he stared daggers at me.

"I did not say that."

"But you did. It's so nice to hear you finally say it, Enj."

"Stop calling me that," he snapped.

"Stop calling me Cinth," I retaliated.

"No."

I laughed and looked away from him. I could feel him still looking but I tried to ignore it as best as I could. Marius looked at me and patted my shoulder as he stood up. I looked at him as he did and glared. He sighed and pushed my head back jokingly.

"No. I'm not giving in," he said. I continued to stare. He walked away, continuously looking back at me. I huffed again and stood up from the table, walking over to the window. I watched them all walk away, separating and going their own ways. I leaned on the wall and watched Marius vanish into shadows. Silence took over the room now. Gavroche was silently messing with Feuilly from a chair, Enjolras was looking at a paper. I heard footsteps approaching me and turned to see Courfeyrac joining me. I smiled at him as he looked out the window. My eyes traced the outline of each building around the café.

He put his hand on my shoulder and I looked at him softly.

"This is the best decision they could've made," he said. I sighed in response and looked away from him.

"I just want to be doing more." He nodded and watched the figures of people walking the street. I looked as far ahead as I could. Something to distract myself.

"Hyacinth," I heard. I turned around and met eyes with Enjolras. He waved me over to him and I reluctantly went to him.

"What?" I asked as I approached the table. He slid a blank piece of paper my way.

"Sit."

I scoffed and sat down in front of him, taking the paper.

"What am I supposed to do with this?" I snapped. He rolled his eyes and sighed in annoyance.

"Stop being so stubborn and just listen for a moment." I glared at him in silence. "I need you to write out more leaflets. These should be more centered around fighting at the barricade when the time comes. I trust you'll be able to?" I saw his eyes go to Courfeyrac as he watched from the window.