thirty

A year.

It had been nearly a year since the barricade.

My entire world shattered as I sat on the small bed. The room was dim and cold. I was thin and I felt horrible.

"You've been drifting in and out. There were several moments where I thought we were going to lose you," the woman said. She had been taking care of me instead of my own mother.

Pathetic.

"Anthony has gotten fed up with it. He's finding a new woman to court."

"He's done with me?" I asked. A small glimmer of hope had shown itself and I wanted to make sure it was justified.

"Yes. He tried to do many things but I think you're safe now."

"What did he try to do?"

The woman paused, her eyes drifting away from me. My heart stopped. The realization hit me and I looked down at the ground. I put a hand on my stomach as the woman slowly looked over at me.

"He was never successful. He got past me once but I stopped him before there was ever a chance of him giving you a child." Her voice was grim and her hand found my shoulder.

The memories hit me and my eyes widened. I had no clue if I even wanted to know the answer to my next question but I needed to ask.

"Did everyone die?"

The last time I saw Enjolras he was cornered. The guns had been pointed at him and they had every intention to kill him.

"I do not know. I am sorry, Hyacinth. I haven't left this house either."

I sighed and looked at the wall in silence. I prayed at least some of them had made it out alive. I don't know how I would live if none of them had walked away from that barricade.

"I want to see my family," I said suddenly. The woman sighed.

"It's too soon. You aren't strong enough and we need to wait for your mother and Anthony to be fully done. If we leave now I fear they'll come for you again."

I huffed and looked at her.

"Are they safe?"

"They are. Your mother has lived here since they brought you here."

I sighed in relief and ran my hands on the bed slowly.

"So what do we do now?" I asked slowly, dreading the answer.

"We will build your strength up again. You're healed but we need to make sure you're healthy before we dare to leave."

I nodded at her as she stood up.

"I'll be here everyday. We'll work on things and when we're ready I will take you to your father."

I smiled at her and felt that hope bubble back up. She put a hand on my shoulder and smiled warmly before walking toward the door she had entered through. She pulled it open and vanished. I didn't hear the door lock but I trusted that everything she said was true. I didn't want to leave only to barely make it to my father and collapse in the street.

Then I risk everything all over again.

I laid back on the bed and stared blankly at the ceiling. I prayed everything beyond this moment would be smooth and I'd be able to live my life again.

I also prayed that Enjolras had made it out okay. If he hadn't then none of this was worth it.

I traced shapes on my stomach and imagined how life would be after I escaped this damn place. A life free of my mother. Free of pressure.

A life filled with love and joy.