fifteen

The sun was setting over the café as we closed out our meeting. Marius yawned beside me and glanced over at me as I did the same. I was struggling to keep my eyes open as I listened to Courfeyrac speak. He and Enjolras had been going back and forth together, making the most elaborate plan they could've come up with.

Courfeyrac looked at me and smirked.

"Tired?" he asked.

"Shut up," I mumbled. He looked at Enjolras and laughed, pointing at him.

"If we keep going any longer you'll have to carry her," he said. I leaned my head back and rubbed my eyes harshly. I heard Enjolras sigh beside me and I soon felt his eyes on me.

"We're done here. Go home and rest," he said. Everyone began to leave, having quiet conversations on their way out. Marius stood and shook my shoulder.

"Hyacinth, get up," he said.

"Just leave me," I groaned. I heard two voices go back and forth quietly and looked at Marius. He had a particular gleam in his eye and it made me uneasy. I opened my mouth to speak to him but I was stopped by a pair of arms scooping me up. I met eyes with Enjolras as he held me. I felt myself smirk at him and couldn't stop the remark that wanted so badly to rise.

"If you wanted to carry me again just say so," I joked. Marius gawked at us and before my words registered in my brain he was asking millions of questions. Enjolras glared down at me before shutting Marius up.

"We were trying to get through the crowd at the rally and it was easier to carry her," he said. Marius gave him a skeptical look before turning away. He walked down the stairs and Enjolras followed. I let my head fall against his shoulder and felt him readjust his arms as we walked out of the café.

I woke up late at night in bed, not remembering coming back here at all. My mind was fuzzy. I knew Enjolras carried me but that was the extent of it. I sat up and looked around. He was curled up in a cushioned chair across from the bed. I shook my head at him as he slept peacefully. His face was relaxed. It didn't don the usual scowl he had or the look he gave when speaking about the revolution. It was just relaxed. I felt myself smile at him, leaning back in the headboard.

I opened my eyes again to the feeling of being shaken awake. I jumped and grabbed the hand of the person. Enjolras stared down at me with an evil smile. I glared at him and threw the blanket off my legs and pushed past him to get a dress out.

"I can see you're excited about this second rally," I said as I grabbed my corset. I put it on and waited with my back toward him. He walked over and took the strings in his hands, pulling instantly.

"I want to light the fire."

"We've done that. What more is there to light?"

"Okay so we build the fire up. Make the flames grow," he said as he tied the strings behind my back.

"Fair enough," I said, turning around to face him. My eyes noticed something wrong in his shirt. I instinctively reached for his collar, fixing it. Then my hands went to his cravat that was never tied.

"You should tie this properly. It'd make you look much more official," I said. I slowly started to fix it, beginning to undo whatever he had done with it. I felt his hand on my face, lifting my chin up and making me look him in the eyes. My breathing hitched as he held my face in his hand. I barely had time to process before his lips met mine. I raised my eyebrows, letting my eyes close after a moment. My hands rested on his chest as his hand remained on my face. His other hand went to my waist as I kissed him back. He pulled me closer to his body and held me there, moving his hand from my chin to my jawline.