nine

I sat awake early in the morning, the sun just barely peeking from its resting place through the small window. Marius had fallen asleep curled up in a chair not far from the bed he had insisted I sleep in. I watched him as his chest rose and fell softly, his head thrown back on the backrest. There was a thin blanket thrown over his body lazily and the jacket he wore lay next to the chair on the floor.

I leaned my back against the wall and stared down at my hands, tracing shapes on my legs in the calmness of the dawn. My mind raced as I came to my senses. My mother would be in search of me again, Anthony hot on her trails. Neither of them would take this lightly. I closed my eyes slowly and tried to rid myself of their angry faces. But this was a poor attempt, it only made their presence stronger. I dreaded leaving this place today. Who knows where they'd be? Who knows what they're doing?

I heard a soft noise, my eyes snapping to Marius. He was straightening himself up, the blanket falling off his shoulders as he looked at me. I could tell he had many things to say. His eyes said more than his voice did. I watched him closely, his eyes reading with the same expression he wore last night. I took a breath, looking away from him quickly. I didn't want to know what he was thinking. I didn't want to know what he had to say to me.

I cleared my throat and looked at the window, contemplating my next words.

"So what of the blonde girl? The one from the rally?" I asked, glancing over at him. A smile replaced the worry and he leaned his elbows onto his knees.

"I haven't seen her since. I'm looking," he said.

"You look like an idiot," I chuckled. He looked at him with a goofy smile and his eyes were filled with wonder. He shook his head at me and looked down.

"You will understand. This feeling, Hyacinth, this wonderful feeling," he mumbled, his hand laying on his chest.

"I don't think I'll ever understand, but I thank you for the sentiment."

He stared at me, a shocked look on his face. His mouth hung open slightly and his eyebrows were raised at me. He stood, walking toward me. He took five steps and stopped right in front of me.

"Don't be so sure. You might already feel it," he said, winking. I squinted at him with confusion and watched him as he sat next to me swiftly.

"I have no clue what you're on about," I said.

"Hyacinth, you can't be this clueless, can you?" he chuckled. I looked over at him and folded my arms. "I cannot believe you! You don't see it?" he exclaimed at me. I shrugged and shifted to turn my body toward him.

"See what?"

He just laughed, shaking his head. I continued to stare at him, now wishing he'd just say what he was thinking.

"See what, Marius?" I pressed, shoving his shoulder to make him look at me. He smiled widely and placed a hand on face.

"You will see in time, sweet child," he teased.

"Marius, I am a month younger than you," I said. He tapped my cheek and stood up, that same smile plastered on his face.

"Get yourself ready," he said. "We'll leave soon. I want to try to find her before we meet."

I looked at him in shock. I pushed myself to my feet and stood in front of him, placing my hands on my hips.

"This obsession with a girl you've seen once in your life baffles me."

He looked at me and said nothing. His eyes were full of love and I could see it now. He'd fallen for the girl he'd laid eyes on once. I smiled slightly and pushed him away, pulling some dresses out of my bag.