four

Marius wanted to walk me all the way to my door but argued until he dropped it. Instead, he walked with me and stopped far from the house. He had dragged Enjolras with him as well, which made this worse.

"Go farther with her," Marius said, shoving Enjolras.

"I don't need to be walked home, Marius."

"If you're alone the entire time she'll come outside and get you. We can at least stall the punishment."

I sighed and started walking, Enjolras walking silently beside me.

"I don't understand why you insist on helping us," he said. I looked over at him.

"Because I want to."

"But why?" He sounded highly confused. "Most women would never dare."

"I want to make a difference. I can't do that if I stay home, right?"

He didn't say anything. He just looked at me, a different look in his eye.

"Why are you doing it?" I asked, turning the conversation to him.

"Same as you," he mumbled. I looked down at the ground, watching my dress graze the stone as I walked. I could feel his eyes on me and I kept my head down.

I looked up at the door growing nearer and nearer. I took a deep breath.

I saw shadows in the windows and readied myself for the outburst at hand. As I approached the door, it flew open. I froze, my heartbeat quickening. My shoulders tensed.

I felt a hand on my arm and looked over at Enjolras who had continued to walk beside me. He hadn't said a word the entire time but somehow the company had me at ease.

Cécile stood in the doorway, smiling softly.

"She's not home yet. Father is here, he tried to keep her here but you know how she is," she said. I sighed and let myself relax. "Now come inside before she comes back." I saw her eyes travel to Enjolras and she snapped her eyes to me, a smirk growing on her face. I gave her a look and followed her inside, looking back at Enjolras only to see him walking back toward Marius, whose silhouette stands back.

I walked behind Cécile to Father's study. He sat at his desk, bent over a stack of papers.

They look familiar.

"Father," Cécile said softly. He looked up at us, smiling at me.

"Ah, girls. Hyacinth, I am sorry. I told her you'd not enjoy the news."

"Father, it's not your fault. Do not apologize," I said, sitting in a chair in front of his desk.

He sighed heavily and covered his papers before I could get a look at them.

"I will tell you what I know of the man," he said. I leaned forward, listening closely as he looked away from my face. "He's a wealthy man. Your mother won't tell me his job but I've been assured he's wealthy. His name is Anthony."

"That's all you know?" I asked, trying to make sense of it.

"My dear, I am sorry."

Cécile sighed behind me and placed a hand on my shoulder.

Then the front door flew open. I jumped and snapped to look. Any second now she'd come stomping in to reprimand me. I looked at Father who seemed just as tense as I was. Cécile walked to the hallway and froze.

"Where is she?" Mother yelled. She pushed past Cécile and entered the room, locking eyes with me.

"Mother, I'm-"