thirty three

I woke up in the dim room with Genevieve standing over me. She pulled on my arm and shoved a blanket into my hands.

"What time is it?" I groaned.

"Late but we need to go. I fear they'll try to take you with them if we don't," she mumbled.

"Take me with them?"

"They're leaving. I'm taking you to your father. I know you aren't as strong as we wished you'd be but we need to go," she said quickly. Her voice was hushed as if she feared she would notify them that I was awake and she was leaving with me.

She hadn't even told them I was functioning.

I struggled to my feet as footsteps approached the door. I froze and Genevieve looked at me, fear in her eyes.

"What's going on in there, Genevieve?"

It was my mother. Genevieve cleared her throat and stood tall, making her voice sound certain.

"I'm just tidying the room. I didn't have time to make sure everything was in order earlier," she said. I heard Mother huff and the door handle turned. My eyes widened as Genevieve practically pushed me into the bed. I pulled the blanket over myself and closed my eyes, trying to look unconscious.

Immediately, the door opened.

"She's still out?" she groaned.

"Unfortunately."

"You can't wake her? She's useless like that. Might as well be dead," my mother snapped. I wanted to hit her but if I moved I feared what she'd do. What my life would become despite all my efforts.

"No madame, I cannot wake her. I am sorry."

"Well we're going. Do not know when we will be back. We leave in the morning."

There was silence and the door clicked closed. I opened my eyes and looked at Genevieve. She turned to me and helped me up.

"Let's go. We'll move as fast as we can."

She held me against her side and walked slowly to the door that lead to her room. We walked inside and my eyes fell on a door to the outside. She didn't have access to the rest of the house. She pulled the door open and the cool breeze hit my skin. I felt myself shiver despite the fact that it had been cold in that damn room.

The sun was setting in the sky and the air was so fresh and nice. I took a deep breath as Genevieve slowly shut the door behind her. She wrapped an arm around my waist and pulled one of my arms over her shoulders. She held onto me as we began to walk.

The bruises had healed but the pain had not gone away. I was learning that with every step I took. My legs ached and there was growing pain in my ribs. I let out a harsh breath and Genevieve looked at me.

"I know, I'm sorry," she mumbled. "There just wasn't enough time to wait."

The walk was silent and few people passed us. When they did, we were met with a confused glare and the occasional wide eyed stare. I knew we were close, I knew this part of the town like the back of my hand. I didn't want to walk anymore. I wasn't used to it anymore. I'd been in a bed for a year and I'd gone through things that should have killed me.

But for some unknown reason, it didn't.

We walked up the path to the house. The warm light in the window reflected on the grass as shadows moved about inside. There were three and they sat, talking. I was suddenly nervous. My heart pounded in my throat as Genevieve pulled me toward the house.

We stood at the door and she raised her first, hitting the door. We stood there for a moment, waiting anxiously. She rubbed my hand with her thumb before knocking again.

This time we only waited a few minutes before the door opened. Cécile stood in front of us, her face changed instantly. I held my breath as she stared at me.

"Am I hallucinating?" she mumbled. Genevieve chuckled and looked over her shoulder.

"No you are not. Can we come in?"

Cécile nodded quickly and stepped to the side. Genevieve helped me inside and Cécile grabbed onto me. I smiled and let my arms go around her neck, hugging her tight. She sniffled and I knew immediately that she was crying.

I leaned back and looked at her. Her eyes were looking me over rapidly as her hands stayed on me. Footsteps came running and I turned, making eye contact with Constance.

"Hyacinth?" she mumbled. Tears brimmed her eyes as she stared at me. I stepped away from Cécile and kept a hand on her shoulder as Constance ran to me.

She hugged me, her head resting on my chest as she cried. I brushed my fingers through her hair softly. I held back my own tears as I stood with both my sisters. Cécile smiled at me and turned to the doorway.

"Father!" she yelled. I anticipated seeing him. For the few months I've been awake I've just wanted to come home. Now I was here and I still wanted more.

But I didn't want answers.

I heard a whisper from Genevieve that no one had survived the barricade. Except me.

Father came running in, worry in his eyes. Then he saw me and that look changed. He smiled and pulled me into a hug. I rested my head on him as he laughed. I closed my eyes and just let myself relax. I was with my family again.

I backed away from him and Genevieve caught me, holding me up. I smiled at her softly and turned back to Father. He opened his mouth to speak but was interrupted with footsteps. I furrowed my eyebrows as a shadow approached us. I moved to the side to try to get a better view, but I still couldn't see.

I looked down at the floor when the feet came into view. My eyes wandered up their legs and my heart stopped when I caught his gaze.

Marius stood before me, a look of shock in his eye. I swear mine mirrored his but I didn't have time to register his presence as another shadow came up behind him.

I caught sight of his hair and immediately wanted to run to him. He looked at me and it was like everything stopped. It felt like forever.

Before I could blink, he pulled me into a bone crushing hug and I felt his shoulders relax.

Now I was home.

He kissed me like his life depended on it and held me as tight as he could.