ten

I heard footsteps climb up the stairs and I looked toward the noise, meeting eyes with Courfeyrac and Combeferre. They waved and I flashed a smile in their direction. The two boys walked toward me and sat in chairs next to me.

"How are you this fine morning?" Courfeyrac smiled.

"Delightful, how are the two of you?"

"Ready to hear you point out everything Enjolras does wrong," Courfeyrac joked.

"I just want to get started," Combeferre said. I nodded at him with a soft smile.

More people filed in now, the seats filling quickly. They all smiled at me as they entered. Grantaire walked in, bottle in hand as he took a swig.

"Grantaire put the bottle down," Enjolras said. Grantaire rolled his eyes and looked at me, extending the bottle out to me. I grabbed it and set it down on the floor. He sat in a nearby chair and slumped back, setting his hands on his legs. I looked over them, silently praying I wouldn't have to stall for Marius. But he was nowhere to be seen.

"Let's start," Combeferre said. Enjolras shook his head and looked at me.

"Marius isn't here," he said. I held my breath and walked toward him, sitting down in my usual seat. The boys stood and conversed, happily talking to one another. I watched them, trying to listen in. I made eye contact with Courfeyrac who then waved me over. I stared at him for a second, the feeling of someone staring growing stronger.

I glanced at Enjolras and caught eyes with him. My heart stopped and I pushed myself up, walking over to Courfeyrac quickly. He threw an arm around my shoulders and pulled me into the small circle he'd been surrounded by.

"How did you meet Marius?" Feuilly asked almost immediately.

"We met when we were kids," I said.

"Is there anything.. romantic between you?" Combeferre asked loudly with a smirk. My eyes widened at his words and I stared at him in disbelief.

"No! I've known him since I was a child, he's like family," I said.

"He cares a lot about you, are you sure he doesn't have romantic feelings?"

What was it about today that everyone decided they'd ask me about my love life? Who organized this?

"Yes I'm sure! There's never going to be anything between Marius and I," I exclaimed. Courfeyrac chuckled and patted my shoulder gently.

"I told you, didn't I? Now stop making assumptions," he laughed.

"Would you have a romantic relationship with someone here?" Feuilly asked, leaning closer to me.

"Why? Fallen in love with me already?" I smirked. He leaned back as everyone laughed at him. I saw Marius climb up the stairs in between people and sighed with relief. No one had asked me where he was and I was thankful for that. I smiled with everyone as they teased Feuilly. I felt a hand on my leg and looked down, meeting eyes with Gavroche. I smiled at him softly.

"I'd watch out, boys. Gavroche is moving in," Courfeyrac joked, ruffling the young boys hair.

"He's got a better chance than any of you," I said, looking over my shoulder at him. I leaned down to Gavroche and watched as he smiled.

"Can you sit with me?" he asked.

"Of course," I smiled, following him to where he normally sat. I dropped into the chair next to his and turned to him. He was smiling and began rambling about things quickly. I could barely pick up on any of the words that left his lips as he spoke.