Seven

Sofia

The garden looked beautiful and there were bright, hanging lights everywhere. Everyone was dressed in expensive looking suits and dresses, their eyes watching us carefully as we walked through the large brown doors leading outside.

Suddenly I feel Connors hand let go of mine as he walks up to a group of men to talk to, one of them being the blonde man I saw earlier this week.

I walk up to get some water to relieve my dry throat and as I drink the cool liquid I move my eyes up from behind my glass to where Connor was standing, his tall frame towering over the other men he was speaking too.

His eyes trail over to mine, almost as if he knew exactly where I was all along and I quickly turn around, holding onto my glass of water tightly as I feel his burning gaze on me.

Sighing I look around the party not really knowing what to do. I didn't know most of these people and Connor had already left me despite it being our engagement party.

And of course, I suddenly had to see the one person I didn't want to talk to most.

I take in a deep breath when I see my mama walk up to me, a dirty smile on her face. Anastasia walks closely behind mama, dressed in a beautiful pink dress that hugged her body. Papa was nowhere in sight, probably busy at another one of his meetings.

" Sofia! I see you've already changed into his little slut haven't you?" My mama sneers, looking me up and down. A quiet laugh comes from Anastasia and I just give them a small smile so people didn't think we hated each other.

" Did your fiancé already ditch you? I'm not surprised." Anastasia scoffs as she looks me up and down.

" H..He's just talking to some people." I say, looking behind my mama to where Connor was. His jaw was clenched as he spoke to a plump, old short man in front of him, the blonde man now gone.

What was he so mad about?

" Who the fuck are you two?" I hear a questioning voice behind me, and turn my head to see the blonde man's name that I suddenly remembered to be Matteo.

Matteo wraps his arm around my shoulders and pulls me close to him, looking down at me with a sly smile and suddenly throwing a middle finger up at my mama and Anastasia.

I look up at him with wide eyes as my mama gasps in shock.

" Do you know who we ar-!" My mama shrieks but gets shut up by Matteo's hand in her face.

" I don't care who you are, this is the fiancé of Mr. Agosti and you disrespecting her is disrespecting the Italian mafia, understood granny?" Matteo says, rolling his eyes at them and taking me over to where the alcoholic drinks are.

" We haven't gotten to properly meet yet, have we?" Matteo says, about to hand me a glass of wine but quickly moving his hand back and squinting his eyes at me.

" Wait, how old are you?" He questions, keeping the glass of wine even farther away from my reach.

" I..I'm 18." I mutter and he looks at me with a sly smile.

" You really thought you'd get away with underage drinking, huh?" He laughs, and I quickly shake my head no.

" I wasn't going to drink it anyways." I say, trying to defend myself as I watch him put the other drink away.