Twenty Three

Sofia

After that interaction between Matteo I hadn't seen Connor for the rest of the day. It's like he was trying to avoid me.

I just didn't get it, he was so nice that night, so different but now he was back to his cold self. Was he always so bipolar?

" Miss it's time for dinner, Mr.Agosti and his friends are eating in the main dining hall, did you want to join them or would you like your dinner brought up to you?" Allison asks, as she holds a pile of freshly washed towels.

Join Connor and his friends for dinner? I hadn't really talked to Connor in a couple days, would he be angry seeing me there?

Wait, why did I even care anyways?

" I'm not sure Allison, he didn't even invite me. Plus, I don't want to intrude." I mumble, playing with the hem of my t-shirt.

" Oh, is that why you don't want to go?" Allison giggles and I nod my head slowly, confused at why she was laughing. Did I say something weird?

" Mr. Agosti was the one who asked me tell you if you wanted to come to dinner." Allison smiles.

He asked if I wanted to eat dinner with him? That was new...

" I..I'll go eat dinner with them, then." I say hesitantly and Allison's eyes sparkle as a large smile covers her face.

" We have to dress you up Miss to make Mr. Agosti flustered!" She winks.

" If I'm dressing up it's for me, not him." I sigh, looking at the two top options Allison had laid out for me. I decided I'd keep the clothes Connor had bought me a while ago when everything ended up just being a misunderstanding with Elizabeth.

The first top was a basic black long sleeve and the second was a white long sleeve with a deep cut. " Let's be honest, he'll be drooling over you in the white one." Allison giggles and I completely contradict everything I had said not even a minute ago when I give in and take the white top, pairing it with blue jeans and a gold necklace with gold hoops.

Was is too much? What if he thought I was trying too hard

Allison loosely curls my dark hair and applies mascara, blush, and lip gloss on me. Before I leave I slip on my white sneakers and spray some perfume.

" Maybe this was a bad idea." I tell Allison when I hear all the men speaking in Italian to each other as we get closer to the large dining room. I didn't know a single word in Italian, it would be awkward being the only one not being able to understand.

" I'm sure Mr. Agosti will be happy seeing you, look at how gorgeous you are!" Allison says, and I smile softly but I was still nervous.

We get to the door and I immediately regret every decision I had made. This was stupid, why was I even dressing up for him? What has gotten into me?

I'm about to completely turn around and leave until the butler opens the door for me, a large smile on his face.

Great.

As soon as the doors open the table gets quiet and I'm greeted with all their eyes on mine, a nervous feeling setting in the pit of my stomach. There were at least 10 men seated at the table, one of them being Matteo. I could only hope he wouldn't bring up the stupid book and embarrass me again.

" Sofia, welcome." Matteo smirks, a glint of amusement in his eyes. He knew I was nervous and wasn't making the situation any better. I smile back at him but it doesn't hold the same meaning a smile usually has.

He must still be salty over me throwing up on Lucia. I felt bad but I had already apologized, I didn't know what else to do.

All the men look away when Connor clears his throat and they all go back to their conversations. My eyes lock with his and I walk towards the table, his eyes dark as he looks me up and down. 

" Sit." He says, pointing at a spot next to him. As much as I wanted to roll my eyes at him I wanted to avoid any more embarrassment tonight so I nod my head slowly.

I'm about to sit down in the chair when Connor suddenly pulls me down to sit on his lap, his hand wrapped around my waist. His fingers leave a burning trail on my bare skin where my crop top didn't reach.

I feel my cheeks instantly turn red, an amused smirk on Connors face as he looked at me. I glare at him, trying to get off but he had a tight grasp around me.

So much for not being embarrassed

What a great first impression

" Oh come on, not in front of my salad." A man groans, covering the bowl of salad with his hands. He had more of an American accent, his hair dark brown and his eyes a bright green.

" Oh shut up Alex, it's not like you were going to eat it anyways." Another man jokes, taking his salad and transferring it to his own plate. The table bursts into laughter and a small smile covers my face at Alex who still had his fork that he was about to eat his salad with hanging in his hand, an annoyed look on his face.

" Very funny." He grumbles. I watch in amusement, trying to see everyone who was at the table. All the men looked like they could kill you in seconds but their bright smiles and deep laughs showed just the opposite of that.

My eyes land on Matteo who was looking at me with a mischievous look the entire 5 minutes I had been here. I glare at him, shaking my head to hint to him not to say a single word.

He just smiles innocently, shrugging his shoulders. I was tempted to throw a piece of corn at him but I feel myself freeze when Connors hand moves from my waist to my upper thigh.

I look down at him, just to see him already looking up at me. " La mia bella principessa" He mumbles, playing with the wedding ring on my finger.
(My beautiful princess)

" What does that mean?" I ask, looking at him with my eyebrows scrunched. He doesn't answer and instead holds up a fork with a piece of steak on it up to my mouth.

" Nothing important." He says, and I roll my eyes, taking the fork and eating the steak myself.

Connors phone starts to ring and I take the chance to escape my position on his lap and move onto the chair next to his.

I notice his burning gaze on mine as he talks through the phone but I ignore it, focusing in on the conversation. A man who's name I learned to be Vincenzo was very passionately telling a story about how he beat Matteo in a fight last week.

This was the most lively I've seen the dining hall in this house. Usually I would just eat alone, in silence.

I excuse myself to go to the restroom, walking down the empty hallways. There were some maids here and there but otherwise it was pretty silent.

I quickly finish up in the bathroom, and open the door, a gasp leaving my mouth when Connors tall figure stood in front of me.

" You scared me." I breathe out, about to walk past him but his fingers wrap around my belt loop and pull me back up to his chest.

I look up at him, my breathing heavy as my chest moves up and down. His eyes travel down my face to my lips and I feel my heart beat crazy at our distance.

" Fuck, I missed you." He mumbles, moving a piece of my hair behind my ear as he searched my face.