Chapter 8: The Boy I Used to Know

*Macau-Age 8*

Macau spent his afternoon with the guards again. They taught him important things, like where to hide in the minor family mansion, and how to shoot anyone who came for him. His cousin Tankhun had been kidnapped recently, and even though Tankhun was found safe, everyone was still on edge.

Macau was a scared young boy, regardless of the teachings he had acquired. The thought of being taken away from his home was frightening. Even though he and Tankhun didn't get along, he had worried about his cousin's safety.

Everyday that Gun returned home that summer, Macau would rush to greet him with a hug. This day was no different. "Pa!" Macau ran and hugged his father, squeezing extra tight. He would worry himself by imagining being taken, or his Pa not coming home alive. He needed reassurance. All he wanted was to feel his love reciprocated. It never was.

Gun brushed the boy off and watched the teary eyed boy wipe his eyes. "One day, you'll learn to not cry so easily. On that day, you'll be ready to stay at my side."

"Pa, P'Fah and P'Yen taught me skills today. Can I show you?" Macau was eager to show his father how well he'd been doing.

"Some other time. I have business to attend to."

Macau watched his father walk away with his guards. Some other time seemed like forever away. The boy wanted to be involved right then and there. He wanted Gun to acknowledge him for once, and pouted to himself as they left him in the dust.

Vegas entered shortly after Gun, taking his brother in a choke hold and messing up his hair with his other hand. "Hey bro!"

"Oi! Let go!" Macau pushed, but to no avail until Vegas let go himself.

"Gotta be quicker than that, little brother. What if I were a kidnapper?"

Macau's blood ran cold. "Don't say that!"

Vegas chuckled. "Keep training. You'll get better, I promise." Vegas was 13 at the time, and often teased the boy, but at the same time would beat anyone up that would dare mess with Macau.

Macau knew Vegas was just joking with him, but he was different than his older brother. Vegas learned to be cold-hearted so early, and only showed this playful side to Macau. Vegas had taken on the form of their father, but Macau could see right through it. Vegas was just like him in one way, wanting attention and to be acknowledged.

Vegas left to be with Gun in the office, because he learned how to shut up and listen to the adults. Macau was too talkative and immature for Gun's liking. He was too sensitive to the conversations they had, and Gun thought that made Macau weak.

Macau's guards had also joined the meeting, but they taught him something-how to eavesdrop. They showed him a secret hiding place on the other side of the wall in the library. It was a hidden closet behind the books in the library, where Macau made a hole that was hidden by books on the office-side. He could hide in there to watch, and this was the first day he tried it out.

Macau stayed quiet as the office filled up with people. He could see Gun sitting in his chair, surrounded. Vegas was nearby with a straight face that he mastered.

At 8, Macau wasn't really that interested in the things they discussed. It took everything in him not to fall asleep. His eyes would close then pop back open so he didn't miss anything.

At the end of the meeting, Fah and Yen stayed behind to speak with Gun. "How is Macau's training going?"

"He's doing well, sir. For his age, at least." Fah was the nicer of the two, and doted on Macau as if he were his own son.