Chapter 14: Can't Escape the Thought of You

*Sunday*

Macau kept checking his phone, waiting for a text from Chay. He knew Chay was spending time with his mother and Porsche, but Macau was impatient and bored. He let his phone fall from the couch and as he leaned over to get it he fell onto the floor, too. Instead of getting up, he just laid there, pulling a blanket on top of him.

"Macau? Are you okay?" Pete sat down with a cup of coffee in his hand.

Macau stared up to the ceiling. "P', why do you love my brother?"

Pete paused and tilted his head. "Well..."

"I mean, Vegas, of all people."

Pete chuckled. "It's complicated, actually." It wasn't too complex, Pete just didn't want to explain it to Macau. He didn't want to tell anyone for that matter.

"Does love have to be complicated?"

"No. It's simple. The circumstances surrounding it can be complicated, though."

Macau thought of how Chay used to like Kim. He could still like Kim for all Macau knew. There's no way he could compete with his cousin. Macau grabbed a couch pillow and smashed it against his face, murmuring into the void. He lifted it and took a deep breath.

"What should I do if I like someone? I've given hints. Plenty of hints. Does he think I flirt with everyone? I only speak to him."

"Maybe you should tell him?" Pete didn't even have to ask who the person was. He and Vegas knew it was Chay. It was unspoken knowledge in the Minor Family house by that point.

Macau shook his head. "Are you crazy? Geez, so old school. What if he rejects me right away?"

"Then you'll know for sure."

"I'm scared."

"I didn't know you were afraid of anything." Macau was always up for a challenge and did his best in everything. It was unlike him to be so down.

"This isn't just anything, though." Chay meant more to Macau than that. This was someone that Macau didn't want to lose.

"How about instead of telling him, you just show him? In your own way."

"Oh yea..." Macau jumped up and hugged Pete with such force that Pete scrambled to not spill his hot coffee. "Thanks, P'Pete!" All Pete could do was smile and nod as the boy squeezed him tightly.

*~*~*~*~*~*
*Sunday Evening-In Town*

"Macau, we need to study. Midterms start tomorrow!" Chay followed Macau through the crowded market.

"I just need a couple of pictures. Then we can go back."

"You said that an hour ago! We've just been shopping this whole time." Chay lifted the bags and skewers he held in both hands.

"Hey, wait here for a second, hmm? I'll be right back." Macau left the boy in the middle of a crowded market.

"What the-" Chay sighed and looked around him, trying not to bump into people as they passed him and the many bags.

Even though school was on Chay's mind, it was nice to escape for a bit. He always had fun with Macau. Macau could make him relax whether he wanted to or not.

Someone bumped into Chay when he was distracted, causing the boy to turn towards the water, where he stopped in his tracks. The sun was setting, and it looked so beautiful that Chay had to stop and stare. Such things brought him back to himself. He could breath and remember who he was and remember to just feel alive again. He could remember that life could be so simple.