Chapter 30: A Celebration To Be Remembered- Part 1

"Tell me again why I decided to come with you. I could be doing so many better things right now." Eri asked apathetically, stepping off the escalator at a shopping mall, with Ochako right behind her. 

"Because, Mina and Tsu are busy, and I need advice on what to wear this evening." Ochako replied. 

"Hold on, you're here to buy an outfit for your own birthday, on the day that it's your birthday? You didn't have something at home?" Eri asked, surprised that this was why Ochako dragged her out of the house. 

"I had something already, I just decided that I wanted something nicer" Ochako replied, "and maybe skimpier..." She said under her breath.

"What?" Eri asked, not able to hear her over the indistinct chatter of all the people in the mall. 

"Nothing. Anyways, we're gonna go somewhere and find a nice dress or outfit." Ochako said with a determined expression. 

"Y'know you really shouldn't be spending so much money when you don't even have a job." Eri commented. 

"Well I can get a job later, doesn't mean I can't treat myself. Come on, don't you want to buy a dress? It'll probably impress Kota~" Ochako teased, causing Eri to blush slightly.

"I keep telling you it's not like that" She replied meekly.

"Sure it isn't," Ochako replied, rolling her eyes, "But seriously, why do you like him? I mean, no shame, but, why?" Ochako asked, genuinely intrigued. 

"It's not like that! I- Ughhh, Izuku can explain this so much better than I can!" Eri exclaimed in frustration, before taking a deep breath and trying again, "Okay, I don't like him, at least not in the same way that... uhhh... Katsuki and Camie like each other. I like to spend time with Kota, he's a very easygoing person, and since I'm usually quite happy and animated, seeing how I rub off on him is nice. I don't like him physically or anything, sure, he looks somewhat nice, but I don't really pay attention to those sorts of things when I'm with a friend, it's just platonic if that makes sense. I guess I just want to spend more time with him, and that's it. But to have strong feelings of friendship I guess can confuse your brain? I don't know, again, Izuku's much better at explaining these things" Eri explained, trying her best not to stumble over her words. 

"Hmm, interesting." Ochako muttered, "In any case, it'll be fun to have him at the party." She added, leading to Eri nodding her head. 

As they walked around the mall, their eyes darted from one shop to another, seeing the light fixtures, the floor covered in cream-coloured tiles, each shop looking like an expensive jewelry boutique. A fountain could be heard in the distance, with water rising and falling, as its dazzling display of fluid dynamics entertained children and couples alike.

"So where are we going to buy this dress? Everything over here seems way too expensive." Eri pointed. 

"Ooh look! Noir Kei Ninomiya has a 70% clearance sale!" Ochako exclaimed with glee, running into the store. 

"Did you not listen to the part where I said it's too expensive?!" Eri called out, following Ochako into the shop. 

"Fine, whatever. We can just go to Uniqlo, we'll probably save money." Ochako sulked. 

"That's on the fifth floor, we should take the lift" Eri pointed out, taking a left and heading for the lifts and escalators. As they waited for one, both girls checked their phones and walked inside. 

Right before the doors were about to close, a hand stopped them from shutting, as they opened back up again, as Todoroki walked into the lift with a girl holding his arm.