Chapter 37: Illusions

It's still the 26th on a Monday morning. Peter, Ned, Flash and Mj are all in English class and dreading it immediately. Ms. Noval has a huge smile on her face which she never has so it can only mean something terrible. Once the bell rings and everyone is seated, Ms. Noval decides to start her class.

"So, this week we are starting our unit about urban legends. On Friday I told you guys to write a five paragraph essay which I hope you did cause if not, you are going to get a zero. Since you guys wrote that essay, you each will be presenting it and I want no excuses" Ms. Noval explains.

Peter can feel Mjs hand move from her own person onto Peters hand which Peter clasps onto. He seriously wants to run out of class already. Ms. Noval starts with the right side of the room and great, Peter and his friends besides Flash is on that side. There is only two tables and six people in front of the three of them before they have to present.

The first student stands up cause that was Ms. Novals rule and begins to read their essay. Peter looks over at Ned to see him on his phone looking at Star Wars stuff to distract himself but Peter knows that may not work. He turns to Mj to see her doodling in her crisis notebook and decides to watch cause it lets his mind slip away.

"Ok...Peter why don't we start with you at your table?" Ms. Noval instructs once the six people in front of them finished their essays.

"Oh uhhhh" Peter trails off, not knowing what to do.

"Actually, he has to go to the bathroom and it's an emergency so how about he goes to do that and I can start?" Mj suggests.

"He can go to the bathroom after he finishes reading his essay. I'm sure it won't take long" Ms. Noval denies.

"No, he really needs to go. He had some Chick-fil-A earlier for breakfast and it's not sitting well in him" Ned chimes in.

"He looks fine to me" Ms. Noval rolls her eyes.

"It doesn't matter if he looks fine or not. If he needs to use the bathroom or go to the nurse, he should be able to" Flash protests.

"Please all of you, stop arguing. Peter can go after his essay so please stand up and read your essay unless you didn't do it" Ms. Noval challenges Peter.

"N-no, I umm did it" Peter nods, grabbing his paper and standing up.

"Good, now read it and then I can send you on your way" Ms. Noval claims.

"He doesn't need to read anything. He can do it when he comes back" Mj continues to argue.

"Miss. Jones, if you continue to argue with me I will send you to Principal Morita and a detention. Mr. Parker, please begin" Ms. Noval leaves no room for argument.

"It's ok so uhhh" Peter looks down at his paper and ignores the weird feeling in his eyes. "S-so the...umm the Gr-Green-" Peter hears Chris and his friends stifle a laughter but he ignores them. "The Green Goblin has been a m-myth for years. No one really knows who is under the...mask but some say he may be an alien or just a devil sent from hell." Peter feels tears prick at his eyes but he holds them there. He can't let them fall. This is already embarrassing enough.

"This is ridiculous" Mj mutters and Peter notices that she's secretly recording.

'Why is she recording?' Peter wonders.

"Continue Peter, we don't have all day" Ms. Noval gets annoyed.

"Do I ummm d-do I have too?" Peter asks barely above a whisper.

"Yes or else you will get a zero. This is apart of the assignment" Ms. Noval exclaims.

"No it's not! On Friday all you said is to write an essay about him! You never said we had to present and he's clearly not comfortable so why are you forcing a student?!" Flash practically shouts.