Chapter 2 | Neighbour

(Max POV)

The last bell went so I quickly picked up my backpack and headed out the classroom. I go to my locker and put the lock in to get out my skateboard out, so I can ride home. I put my headphones on , hearing Kate bush's magical voice made me feel like all the problems in the world had disappeared and made me feel normal.

As I burst though my front door I see my mum stop washing the dishes and turn the tap off turning around to look at me. "How was your first day sweetie?" She asked offering me a smile. I scoff at her I hate when she calls me sweetie , I'm not a baby anymore. "It was fine" I say blandly heading towards the stairs. I get in my room and slam the door locking it. I lay my back on the bed and stare at the roof just thinking. Today was quite boring but I guess messing with that boy was fun. I wonder why he kept staring at me. It was cute. No one has really looked at me like that before. I noticed he was on the basketball team because he had his bright green Hawkins tigers letterman jacket on , so I thought he was just another popular playboy. When he approached me I expected him to try and be flirty but he was nervous and dorky about it. When I snapped at him he told me he was a virgin which caught me by surprise admittedly because most basketball players have had sex by now and plus he was a good looking boy. I'm not a virgin , I've only done it once with my ex in the school bathrooms and after it he dumped me saying my body is horrible and let me say it was not magical like they say in the movies. I felt like a mess after and ever since then I don't like being around boys or trust them. As I was deep in my thoughts I hear some boys playing basketball out of my window. Being nosy I peek at my window to watch but then I see him , I see Lucas. We are neighbours "small world" I mumble to myself still staring. I had just moved here from California after I spray painted my teachers car because he was being sexist saying "women are not strong like men!". I've been banned from 9 schools now and I don't plan on making it ten. I know it sounds bad but most of the time it's because the teachers are really annoying and I also never really fit in. My thoughts were snapped when I hear my door slowly open , so I quickly ran from my window and back onto my bed. "Hey Maxine" my mum says softly peaking around the door. She knows I hate being called Maxine but I'll let it slide for now. "What?" I respond "do you mind going to the shop for us since we have no milk left?" She asks. I sit there thinking for a sec "should I stay or should I go?" I ask myself in my head. You know what I could use some fresh air. "Sure" I respond sitting up. "Thanks sweetie , just be safe ok" she says "yeah I will be" I say putting my red shoes back on. "I need money then" I shout down the stairs where my mum was. "Here!" She says passing a $20 note from her wallet. "I don't need this much money for milk" I say showing her the $20 note "I know you I gave you extra so buy some sweets or something treat yourself" she says smiling at me and I just nod saying "thanks" as I walk towards the door.

I open the door and put my headphones back on. I started walking but I hear someone muffled calling my name so I take my headphones off trying to hear who was calling out for me. "Max!" Lucas shouts from his driveway. I look up and he's in a white vest with some basketball shorts on with a basketball in his hand , he looked really good. I wave my hand at him not wanting to indulge in a conversation until he starts walking towards me. "You live here?" He says pointing at my house walking closer to me "yeah we just moved here from California" I respond staring into his eyes as he was in front of me "oh that's cool we're neighbours" "that's cool I guess" I respond "hey neighbour" he says putting his hand out for a handshake smiling at me so I shake his hand "hey neighbourrrr" I respond in a country voice making him laugh. His laugh was beautiful and I felt butterflies in my stomach. "So where are you going?" He asks prying "stalker" I respond smirking at him "no no no I was just asking where your going , not anything weird or like that.." he says rambling on. I giggled at him rambling trying to not sound weird. "Sure stalker, I'm going to the shop" I respond "oh cool" he puts his head down awkwardly "want to come with?" I ask. He looks up at me in shock and says "Yes!.. I mean sure" I giggle at his excitement "ok come on stalker we ain't got long"

I had my headphones on so I couldn't hear if he was talking to me but then I felt a small push from behind me causing me to gasp in shock. "Wtf!" I saying turning around angry at him "you weren't answering me" he says putting his hands up justifying his action "doesn't mean you have to push me!" My face was turning red in anger then I hear him say "Madmax is what I'll call u" laughing "I hate you" I say punching him in the stomach, I hear him grunt. "Ow you punch hard" he says rubbing his stomach where I just punched him. I walk closer to his face causing him to get nervous. I grab him by the waist and I whisper in his ear seductively "want me to kiss it better baby" he bites his lip "yes please" he responds sounding horny staring at me so I decide to just smack his head. "Shut up now let's go" I say giggling walking away from him and into the shop. He looks annoyed just standing in place. "That was mean you know" he says catching up to me in the shop "you were being a baby" i responded looking at him. I grab the milk and he offers to carry it for me obviously trying to impress me. I grab some snacks but mostly skittles because there my favourites. I grab him a pack also because he was being nice helping me. "Here" I say as we walk out the shop throwing a skittles packet at him "thanks" he responds catching them with his free hand as his right hand was carrying the milk. "So what music do you listen to ?" He asks me while walking next to me "I like Kate bush a lot" "what no way" he responds quickly
"What?" I asked confused
"I love Kate bush , my favourite song is running up that hill" my eyes widen
"That's my favourite song" I respond surprised
"So we do have more in common than we know" he says laughing "yeah we do" I say giggling.

We made it to my front door and he walked me to the door like a gentleman , so I turned around and kissed him on the cheek. He looked shocked and surprised by my actions and his cheeks turned red and that made me smile. "Bye cutie" he says walking away causing my cheeks to burn. This could be a new chapter in my life. A chapter of love?...