Chapter 24 | hurting

(Max POV)

It's the next day and I plan to spend more time with Patrick. The thing is though I still have love for Lucas even though he cheated on me. I was planning to have some me time but then Patrick shows up and I think I'm ready for another relationship. I'm currently in class sitting next to Lucas. We were in the back of class and me and Lucas were talking. "So do you have a plan?" Lucas whispers to me. "A plan of course I do lukey" I tease. His eyes widen. "Lukey?" He says. I look away realising when I only call him that. I start blushing. We just broke up but some reason I still get butterflies in my stomach whenever I'm around him. "So what's the plan?" Lucas asks. "Umm...I'm going to tell him how I feel after school" I respond. "How do you even know where he lives?" Lucas furrows his eyebrows. I smirk is he jealous or something.

(Lucas POV)

I was super jealous. "Why are you jealous?" Max asks. I shake my head lying. "No Max I just want you to be happy" I say smiling at her. She smiles back. "Are you sure?" She teases. "Seriously Max!" I say looking into her eyes. "Like I said go chase you happiness..." I say looking away. I want her to be happy but not with Patrick. Don't get me wrong Patrick is a great guy and all but I'm still not over Max at all. She is still the same girl when I first placed my eyes on her. She is still the same girl whose eyes I still get lost in. She is still the girl I fell in love with. I put my hand over my mouth. Shit I still love her...

(Max POV)

I don't know why but Lucas looked away when he said and he looked hurt. Why would he be hurt by my happiness? I ask myself. Wait maybe it's not my happiness he's hurt by. My eyes widen as I finally realise what it was this whole time. It's Patrick. It is his best friend after all. You know fuck Patrick I'm just going to stick with me time instead. God max your so stupid why would you go date his best friend? I mentally facepalm myself. I look at Lucas and he was still looking out the window zoned out. "Hey...Lucas" I say. He doesn't answer and still looks out the window. I grab his arm and he jumps. "Shit sorry" I say looking at him. He turns towards me.

(Lucas POV)

Max grabs my arm and snaps me out of my thoughts causing me to jump in my seat. "Shit sorry" she says. I turn around to her. "It's fine" I send her a small smile. She slightly smiles back. I could tell something was on her mind. "What's wrong Max?" I ask grabbing her shoulder worried. She closes her eyes and bites her lip. She looks hurt. Just like when I .... I stop myself. I look at her worried. Max opens her eyes and looks at me. "Lucas I know you said chase my happiness...but I can't just date your best friend" Max says. "Max..." I say voice breaking slightly. "Don't let me hold you back" I continue. "Lucas I promise it's not you holding me back.." She says. I furrow my eyebrows. "The truth is Lucas..." Max says playing with her thumbs. I could tell she super nervous and I was starting to get worried. "Your my happiness Lucas...." She says looking up at me. I turn my head away and i feel a tear slip. "No Max I'm not..." I say biting my lip. "I broke your heart so please don't say that.." I continue turning my head towards her. She just looks at me shocked.

She puts her hand on my shoulder. "Lucas you made one mistake and yeah you are a jerk for doing it but it doesn't mean I don't love you any less" Max says. When she says that I look away as more tears slip. I start crying silently. "Lucas..." she says trying to turn my head. I shake my head. "What don't you love me anymore?" Max says hurt. I shake my head. "I still love you Max...it's just you deserve better" I say still looking away.

(Max POV)

He just ignores me for the rest of class and I was beginning to get annoyed with him. I tell him I still love him but for some reason he can't accept. Class ends and Lucas runs out of class. I was going to chase him but honestly screw him. He cheats on me and I tell him I still love him and he just ignores me. I shake my head as I head to lunch. I walk into the cafeteria and I walk over to the party. As I walk over I notice Lucas ain't here. Jordan was here though and he looked at me worried. "Hey Max do you know where Lucas is?" He asks worried. I just shrug and I sit down with the rest of the party. Jordan sighs and walks out the cafeteria.

(Lucas POV)

I left school and I went home early. I lock myself in my room and I cry into my pillow. How can she still love me after what I put her through? . These past two days I've been not stop crying. I feel myself drifting away from Max. But everytime I see her it's like the girl I first met in Mr Clarkes lesson. My parents were still at work so I had the house alone until school ends. So I just continue crying into my pillow...

(Max POV)

School ends and no one has saw Lucas since 2nd period (class) and I'm beginning to get worried. I walk out the school and I decide to go to Patrick's house. I skateboard to his house. As I make it to his house I see him and Stacey making out on his bed through his window. I roll my eyes and skateboard away. Of course it's the whore Stacey kissing anyone I liked. Now I skateboard home. As I make it home I see Jordan on his front porch hand on his face. "Hey you ok?" I ask him. He lifts his head slowly. "Yes...it's just Lucas" Jordan says. "What about Lucas?" I ask worried. He sighs. "He locked himself in his room and I can hear him sobbing..." He says. My eyes widen. I didn't know he was hurting that bad. "Umm...maybe I can try?" I say. Jordan sends me a small smile. "Sure!" He stands up and opens the front door for me.

I send his a small smile as I enter the Sinclair residence and I walk up to Lucas's room. I put my ear to the door and I hear him sobbing. I bit my lip trying not to cry also. How can he be hurting this bad and not tell me once? I ask myself in my head. I knock of his door. "Jordan please go away" He says. "It's not Jordan..." I say into the door. It goes quiet for a minute until he unlocks the door. As he opens the door I see him standing there. His eyes were red and puffy and he looked broken.

Word count: 1253

Shoutout adawg189 for the idea 😊

Lumax always! 🫶

NEW CHAPTER COMING SOON...?!