Chapter 24

Zoey's POV

"Love, I don't know how to tell you this-"

"She's dead, isn't she?" I blurt, cutting him off.

My best friend is dead. She's gone, I saw her eyes.

More burning tears roll down my cheeks, making my eyes itch.

"No, love," he holds me closer to him, "take a breath and tell me what happened."

What do you mean, no?

"We came home and we accidentally left the door unlocked when we left for w-work. Someone was in he-here and...and they got her. I only heard her scream one time and when I checked on her, she was..li-like that." I try my hardest to explain without stuttering or crying, to no avail.

He brushes his fingers against my back to try to soothe me.

"Okay, love. Okay." He hugs me tighter to his chest.

My arms wrap around him and tightly hold onto his shirt, probably creating so many wrinkles.

"She's been changed." He says softly.

I wipe my eyes, did I hear him properly?

"What do you mean?"

Lips gently press against my forehead, "she's a newborn now, love. Someone converted her and I'm going to find out who."

The new found information runs through my muttered brain. She's going to be a vampire now? She's going to be like them?

"Did one of you save her or did the criminal do this to her too?"

"We don't create newborns anymore, love. It's not and wasn't us. But..." he trails, building the tension in my heart strings that are slowly plucking from the walls of my beating muscle, "she's not going to be okay for a while. We need to keep her with us to protect humans and herself."

"She wouldn't hurt me." I state, knowing Poppy wouldn't hurt a fly. She saved my life!

"Oh, love. You don't understand," his hand caresses my face, "she's not going to be exactly the same. When she wakes up, she's going to be starving. She won't be thinking about who you are the only thing that'll be running through her mind is the sound of your blood pumping." He tries to explain.

"Come with us. She needs to stay in our cellar for a while, just until she can control the blood lust and be trusted." He urges.

It's not like anything is more important than being with her and them. My job burned down a few hours ago so I'm out of a job to have to show up to every day.

"You promise you won't mind me coming along?" I ask, just to make sure I won't be a burden.

"Love, I've wanted you to live with us since the first date. Pack some of her belongings for now since we don't have anything for her yet." He helps me stand from off his lap.

I nod, turning to run to her room.

"Make it quick, baby." Jett urges.

I nod and throw some of her clothes into her cream colored suitcase along with a few pairs of shoes, some hair products that I doubt she will use, and some feminine products.

Before I zip the bag, Jett pulls out the pads and tampons I've packed. I look at him with furrowed eyebrows.

"She won't need things like this anymore, baby. Keep it light."