Chapter 38

Zoey's POV

Shaggy bleach blond hair, almost white. Just like Jett's. Similar dark blue eyes, like the ones I saw in the restaurant the day it burned down.

Then it clicks. That's Jett's brother.

The man with a lollipop that reminded me so much of someone, that someone I now recognize.

Jett catches my stare and waves me over to them.

"Jett is asking for me, is it okay if I go?" I ask Nik quietly to not seem suspicious.

"Of course, love. I'll get you when it's time for my speech." Nik then kisses me, being careful to not smudge my makeup.

As I weave in and out of the crowd, I pass Henry and Ruth. Henry smiles as he dances with his queen, she even seems light and happy as he twirls her around. This woman with harsh edges is also has blunt edges. Once I win her over, she will probably be a joy to be around.

"Mom was so mad! I can't be- Zoey! This is my little brother, Jack. Jack, this is Zoey." Jett introduces us.

Jack smiles, seemingly recognizing me as well.

"Yes, Zoey," he smirks, "nice to see you again." He takes my hand and kisses the back of it.

Jett scowls at his brother, "you two have met before?"

I nod, "I saw him at the restaurant one night, I didn't piece together that he is your brother." I nervously laugh.

"It's a shame that it burned down." He states with a cool smile. Quite odd to smile at something so sinister. I lost my job and someone could've been killed!

"You know about that?" Jett asks.

"Yeah, he was there that night." I blurt, earning a scowl from Jack.

Jack puts his hand on his brothers shoulder, "I saw some hounds in the area, perhaps it was a dirty dog." Jack shrugs.

Images of the beast that bit me roll through my head. I touch the faded pink scar from where it mauled me.

"I have to tell Nik. I'll catch up with you soon, Jack." Jett says before heading towards Nik.

Uncomfortable silence settles as Jett leaves me alone with Jack. Someone save me.

"Trying to get me in trouble?" He smirks, stepping closer to me.

I try to speak. I try to tell him no, but the words get stuck in my throat to leave me with just a head shake.

"You know, this dress," he rubs his hand across my hip quicker than I can object, "is much better than that waitress uniform."

I scoff, "thanks, but please don't touch me again." I back away from him. I don't know why he thought he had permission to touch me, but he doesn't. He may look like Jett, but he isn't Jett in the slightest.

He chuckles, throwing the wandering hand in the air, "feisty and smart. You know I'd get jumped on the spot if the guys were paying attention." He whispers as he gets closer to the end of his sentence.

First he has the audacity to touch me then he gives me a lame excuse on why he shouldn't be touching me. It's not that I'm afraid of what my guys would do to him, it's just that I belong to them. Jack is subtly insulting, if you didn't grow up around terrible, manipulative people, you probably wouldn't catch it.

"Tell me, does Nik know that you killed Brexley?" He mutters.

I gasp from his insane accusation before pushing him away from me, well, I try to, he doesn't budge.