Chapter 36

Zoey's POV

Jett and Poppy yell incoherently at each other, drawing my attention away from Henry and to the entryway.

Smell like what?

"Perfect test for me to see how my son handles being king, come, watch with me." Henry walks towards the door.

A pit forms in my stomach, slowly sinking with every step I take behind him until we make it to the front door where Jett and Poppy stand, too overcome with anger to even look at us.

"I'm an adult you fucktard. I can see whoever I please to!" Poppy defends herself, looking as if she would punch Jett right in his kisser if he weren't so big.

Heavy footsteps plop down the steps. A chill runs down my spine, hearing how anger grows with each step. The air around me gets thick as it wraps around my neck to subtly choke me into silence.

"I see you've gone against what I've said." Nik comments monotonously with a straight face.

Nik notices his dad in the room, watching what is happening then settling his eyes on me, he sighs.

Maybe I should leave...

I take a step back to only feel a hand bump between my shoulder blades.

"It's important you learn how to handle these things." Henry tells me, keeping me in place.

Poppy finally notices Henry and I in the room, "Zoey agrees with me that the rule was stupid."

Well, you didn't have to tell them that!

Nik and Jett look at me, eyes shaded a bit darker with the dim lighting surrounding the room. Nik raises his eyebrow, challenging my logic on this rule.

"W-well I uh-" I take a breath and collect my thoughts to seem slightly stronger in front of his dad, "I think Poppy should be able to see her boyfriend. Telling a grown woman she can't be with someone doesn't make sense to me." I tell him honestly.

"What if that someone was a hunter?" Nik's arms cross over his chest, making his muscles strain against the fabric of his suit jacket. I guess he was trying on what he is wearing tomorrow, how could I not have noticed?

I didn't know he cared about Bambie.

"Who cares if he hunts, as long as the animals die in a quick, humane way, it should'nt matter."

The guys laugh, I even hear Wyatt fumble with his piano keys, causing a strained sound to echo into the room.

Nik stalks towards me with no expression on his face to hint at what he's feeling. My knees feel like jelly, but I know he wouldn't hurt me. But still, my fingers dig into my arm for an ounce of comfort.

"These hunters aren't searching for animals, love. They hunt for me, Jett, Wyatt, and now Poppy. Desmond hunts vampires; tortures them by trying to find ways to kill them." Nik's eyes dilate, showing just how serious he is.

Tight pressure wraps around my heart. I don't want to believe there are people out there who capture people like the ones standing in front of me to torture them...to try an exterminate them.

A tear forms in my eye as I think a terrible thought. On the outside, I understand. Before them I would've wanted vampires dead. Desmond's mind can change just like mine has.

"Maybe we can change his mind." I share my thoughts, still trying to play on both sides to make everyone happy.

Jett's jaw flexes, wanting to say something but he doesn't.