Chapter 50

Zoey's POV

Nik and I take a seat at the breakfast nook table.

"I guess we should start with the marking process." He states, stealing a blueberry off my plate.

The urge to stab his hand with my fork makes me think about my sanity. It's just a blueberry.

"First things first, it's a once in a lifetime ceremony. Marking someone is the equivalent of marriage for humans but instead of 'death due us part', it's 'if you die, my heart dies along with yours'." He explains.

If I'm honest, I like the sound of that.I feel like I'd die if I lost any of them anyways.

"It will show my claim on you, and only my claim. Jett and Wyatt will not be allowed to mark you."

My ribs crack off into my heart, "why not?"

He offers a sad smile, "because I'm a king, love. It's taboo enough to find a poly relationship within the vampire community let alone the king or future king to be involved with one."

I nod, understanding the position it would put him in. His parents especially would probably blow a gasket if the idea was even brought up, although his dad seems a little more non traditional.

Kings can't share.

Nik reaches out his arm, using his fingers to touch the area between my shoulder and neck. His caresses the slight curve, looking longingly at the area.

The place in my brain that holds morals shuts down as he brushes against my skin, making my body tingle.

"I'd mark you right here."He mutters before smirking at my reaction.

"What will it look like?" I ask, imagining two puncture holes on the side on my neck.

If it looks like how I imagine it to look, I'd scare children.

Nik shrugs, pulling his arm back to his body, "I don't know, love. I've never had the pleasure of marking anyone."

My brain doesn't connect his answer with reality. I know he was by no means a virgin before getting with me.

"Why not?" I ask with furrowed brows.

He pushes my plate towards me, reminding me to eat while we talk.

"Well," he smiles charmingly, "I've never wanted to. Never found the right woman fit enough to be queen."

A slow ache pangs through my body. If they weren't fit, how could I be fit?

"Stop doing that, love."

My eyes meet his, seeing adoration in his eyes in the form of a sparkle.

"What?" I ask.

His eyes roll as if it's obvious, "doubting yourself. See yourself the way I see you. The way we all see you."

I giggle, "and what do I look like?" I ask, half joking.

"You're strong," he starts, I feel like he's about to make a joke so I mentally prepare to form a good comeback, "you had nobody growing up. All you've ever really had was yourself and now that you have us, you're flourishing into everything I could dream of in a woman. You are humble, creative, goofy as hell," he continues to make my heart swell, "give yourself some credit, see yourself how everyone else sees you."

My eyes welt with unwanted tears. Crying was always seen as weak in the group home. Holly Grove truly sucked.

"What will it feel like?" I ask, referring to the mark.