Chapter 40

Zoey's POV

Bright yellow light shines brightly through my window, warming my tired face.

"Good morning sunshine." Poppy says softly, handing me a mysterious white mug.

I look at her curiously as I take the hot cup; I notice tea is inside.

"How did you know I'd wake up when it's still hot?" I ask, blowing the steam away from the mug.

She smiles, showing off her straight white teeth, "you have an internal alarm clock. If you don't wake up at seven then you usually end up waking up at nine. Since there was a party last night, I figured you'd wake up later than seven."

My fist rubs against my eye, soothing the slight dry itch.

It's like she got smarter when she was turned.

I take a slow sip of the tea, tasting the chamomile and honey. Honey inside hot tea is borderline Heaven on earth.

"When did everyone leave?" I ask her.

She sits up, looking out of the window that's letting in the glorious light. "People started leaving around three but some cars are still out there. While I was making your tea, Nik said they should all be gone by ten."

My phone reads that it's only a little past nine. I also have eight messages from Wyatt. As I scroll through, I can't help but smile reading about how much he missed me and how Nik had to dance with his mom when he rather be dancing with me.

"What're you smiling at?" Poppy asks as a sinister smile starts to spread on her face.

Before I can pull away, she uses her speed to snatch my phone out of my hands and scan over the messages.

"You know," I say as I cross my arms over my chest, "it's not fair to use your vampire speed against a human." I pout.

She laughs as she returns my phone, "he's cute, I'm happy you have someone like him."

My cheekbones ache from the smile on my face, "I love him, he's like a big puppy that only wants to make me happy." I tell her.

Her finger presses against her lips, making my stomach drop.

Dang it! People are still roaming around the mansion. I mentally kick myself for talking louder when I get excited.

She nods, "okay, coast is clear," she says, urging me to continue.

I smile as I take another sip of the tea, "I was done."

She laughs and gets off my bed, "I'm going to see Desmond in a little while. Cover for me?"

My eyes widen. Last time she saw him, it caused everyone to argue.

"Nik said he was a hunter. That's dangerous for you, isn't it?"

She rolls her sea green eyes, "he would never hurt me or anyone I care about."

Until he finds out exactly what you are.

"I don't know Poppy. I feel like-"

"Please, please, please. I love him Zoey."

My heart aches for her. Classic case of Romeo and Juliette. Can't be together, but can't stay apart.

"Bring another pair of clothes, they were able to smell him on you last time." I suggest.

I don't love the idea of her seeing a vampire hunter, but she's smart enough to not get hurt, right?