Chapter 59

Zoey's POV

My body is still sore.

I'll never be able to forget the excruciating pain I was put through. A nightmare of the event woke me up last night while the guys were watching videos on their phones. I played it off, like I wasn't bothered. But it killed me inside.

My body remembers every touch, every scratch, cut, and the twist of my organs as whatever was inside me was hopefully being ripped out. It was like being awake during surgery, feeling the doctors dig around in your body and cauterize every pool of blood.

The last thing I remember from that day was Wyatt leaving, I heard Nik tell Jett to go check on him but after that, I was out.

I know the plans today are to test to see if what Brina did worked. If it didn't...I don't know if I could do it again, go through that agony again.

Brina and I eat oatmeal with strawberries and bacon together while the guys move all around the house, probably preparing for what's going to happen after we eat.

"You can take another day if you need it. I can make up an excuse to the guys to buy you more time." Brina suggests as she watches me struggle to swallow my oats.

"No. It's better to just get it over with." I nod, confirming that I believe what I'm saying.

If I don't do this now, I'll keep putting it off because my thoughts will psych me out and make me too afraid. The sooner, the better.

She gives me a friendly smile, continuing to chomp on her bacon.

She seems confident that everything will go well, so that's what I'm holding onto.

After tiptoeing around for about an hour, we all head back up the stairs to the same room as last time.

My heart wrenches just looking at the door. All the horrible memories coming back.

It's okay. It worked. Brina is good at what she does.

As if it were deja-vu, I sit back on the bed in the same spot. I'm surprised to see no stains, no mess, no nothing. Everything is exactly where it was before.

"Now we just do what? Make her angry?" Jett asks Brina with a certain unbelievable tone.

"Yes." Brina mimes.

I can't help but smile. In some ways, Brina is a lot like Poppy. She doesn't care what people think of her, she's beautiful and confident. She captivates people with her logic and wit.

The time ticks by as they try to get a rise out of me. Hours pass until we finally take a break.

"There is only one other person that I know of that could make her angry." Brina states.

Desmond.

Brina leaves the room with Nik, leaving me alone with Jett and Wyatt.

"They aren't seriously bringing him here, are they?" I scoff.

"I'm afraid so, doll." Wyatt responds in a calming tone.

"We need him to rile you up to see if what Brina did worked." Jett adds his two cents.

I let out a long, frustrated breath, "no, just tell them to keep trying. I don't want him here."

Jett shakes his head, "can't do that, baby."

"Why not?" My eyebrows furrow. They always give me what I want.