Chapter 19: Venus is annoying

Hello there! Another chapter for your pleasure. Enjoy!

Previously 

"I have a surprise", Claudia said. "See anything different about my armor?" Percy looked more closely at her armor.

"A badge? Wait. No way, you're a centurion? How the bloody hell have you done that?"

"My former colleague decided he had enough so he retired", Julius said. "Claudia might not listen to orders well, but she's a damn good fighter and leader."

"Really? That's the first time you've ever said that", Claudia said.

"You know perfectly well I told Consul Marius the same thing", Julius said.

"I thought you just wanted me to be a centurion so you could spend more time with me", Claudia said with a smile.

"That might've been part of it", Julius said. "Anyway Perce, you should go into Camp. Our shift is almost over so we'll join you soon."

"'Kay, see you in a while"

*timeskip*

Percy's POV

"I just got back yesterday and Julius already puts me on bloody guard duty!" Percy said while pacing around outside of the tunnel. 

"Hey, I've been on guard duty for two months. Quit moaning about it", Claudia said. Suddenly Percy froze on the spot and put his finger to his mouth as he slowly drew his sword. 

"We're being watched", he whispered. 

"Fall back to the tunnel", Claudia said and Percy obliged happily. With their shields raised they slowly backed up towards the tunnel. 

"Wait! I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you", it came from the bushes. A boy younger than Percy stumbled out of the bushes. "I came from the Wolf House." Percy and Claudia immediately lowered their swords and shields. "I thought you were more of those monsters." 

"What's your name kid?" Claudia asked. 

"Lucius Silvester", he said as he came closer. They heard a roar come from the woods. 

"Percy, bring Lucius into Camp. We have company!"

*timeskip*

Of all monsters the manticore was definitely one of the ugliest. Why would you ruin the magnificent body of a lion with the tail of a scorpion and the face of a human? 

As Lucius ran trough the tunnel Percy and Claudia took turns in holding up the monster. Claudia tried to stab it with her spear and, once she retreated, Percy fired arrows to let Claudia get away safely. Once Claudia reached Percy they switched again; Percy retreated and fired arrows while Claudia jabbed at the monster. 

But when they had almost reached the end of the tunnel something went wrong. The manticore shot poison from it's tail which melted Claudia's shield. Some of the poison came on Claudia's arm, making her scream out in pain. Percy dropped his bow and rushed over to his Centurion with drawn sword and trident. 

"Hey idiot! Come and get me", he shouted at the manticore, but it ignored him and loomed over Claudia who tried to stumble away. Percy threw his trident at the monster in an attempt to stop it. The trident landed next to the manticore, who looked at it with a smirk. 

"You missed", the manticore said triumphantly. But as the monster turned around again Percy was right in front of it and stabbed it in it's left eye. The manticore roared out in pain and stumbled backwards. Percy grabbed his trident and helped Claudia up and together they headed for the end of the tunnel.