Hannah

The next day, I hurry to the auditorium after the final bell rings. I can't wait to see Oliver. For some reason, I've had him stuck in my mind for the last twenty-four hours. I can see his face every time I close my eyes. To my delight, he's already there, watching something on his phone. I sneak up behind him and tap him on the shoulder. He turns around and smiles when he sees me.

"What are you watching?" I ask.

He motions for me to take the empty seat next to him. When I do, he hands me an earbud. He's listening to a remix of the theme song of one of my favorite childhood shows.

"You like this show?" he says. "I watched it all the time when I was little. Before I discovered musicals, an inanimate object was my favorite character, if you can believe it."

"Oh, I don't blame you. And the villain from that show used to give me nightmares, even though he, too, was an inanimate object. I used to have dreams he was chasing me. Are you excited for rehearsal today?"

Oliver nods. "Yeah, but I was more excited about getting to know you better. You seem nice." He looks down at his feet. I can't help but notice that his right foot is cocked to the side, as if he can't straighten it. "I'm sorry, I don't want to seem pushy."

"No, you're fine," I reply, diverting my eyes from his crooked foot. I don't want to creep him out or make him feel uncomfortable. Something tells me that this is the first thing most people notice about him instead of his beautiful face or his sweet personality. That makes me sad and a bit angry. My parents were very adamant about showing me that it's what's on the inside that counts. "I wanted to get to know you better, too. You seem like a cool guy, not to mention you're basically the real Enso from Chain Breaker."

He smiles shyly. "You think so? I was worried that since I'm on crutches in real life, I was cheating trying out for this part. I thought I had an unfair advantage."

I roll my eyes. This response only confirms my fears that he's been bullied for his challenges enough that the self depreciating mindset has burned itself into his head. "Don't listen to the bullies, Oliver. You're perfect for this role. I'm sure Derek Anderson, the guy who plays him on Broadway and my celebrity crush, would be enthralled to know a disabled person got cast in his role."

"Well, thanks," Oliver answers. "Hey, how long have you been into theater?"

I think for a moment. "It started when I was like, two. My parents put me in this daycare program, and this group of high school seniors and college kids came and did skits every day for us. I loved it."

Oliver leans forward in his chair. "Go on," he urges me. "Tell me more."

"One of the performers was a high school senior. She played an airplane pilot who was always looking for adventure. I loved her so much," I continue.

"Did you ever find out her name, or was she just 'the pilot girl' or something like that?" he asks, getting interested.

I smile dreamily, letting the nostalgia wash over me. "Her name was Courtney Sheaffer. She was my best friend. I followed her everywhere. I have multiple photos of her hugging me while I'm wearing her hat or me clinging to her leg like a sloth. I was probably annoying, but my mom always told me she loved me as much as I loved her."

"Do you still know her?"

I sigh sadly. "I aged out of the program when I was five. I haven't seen or heard from her since." For some reason, I feel tears burning at the back of my eyes. Twelve years later, I haven't forgotten Courtney. She's the reason I'm so into theater. I bury my face in my hands, fighting back tears. Oliver puts an arm around me. "Hey, it's okay," he consoles me. "I didn't mean to upset you. I'm sorry you lost contact with her. She sounds like a wonderful woman. Maybe you can track her down someday."

Just then, a girl walks up beside us. "Are you okay, Hannah?" she asks.

I look up briefly. "I just want to see my childhood best friend again," I reply. "I really miss her."

The girl gives me a warm smile. "I'm Sadie," she introduces herself. "I know I'm not her, but I'll be your friend."

I glance at Oliver, then back at Sadie. "You aren't going to make fun of Oliver, are you? Because he is the perfect Enso and he deserves respect."

Sadie gasps. "Alright, who do I need to fight? Who's picking on the star of the show?"

I hold up a hand. "Let it go. Let's not fight anyone."

"Yeah," Oliver chimes in. "Enso wouldn't fight anyone. Heck, he wouldn't even fight Anjan, the young chief that bullied him, and Anjan picked on him his entire life."

Sadie and Oliver high five each other. "Ms. Dawson, the director, should be here soon," she says. "She's really nice. Don't you already know her, Hannah?"

I nod. "I've been in other shows, so I know her well. Who are you playing?"

"I'm playing Layeba," Sadie answers excitedly. "So if I treat you two like I'm your mother, don't be surprised."

A tall African American boy walks up behind her. "I'm playing Anjan," he mumbles. "Someone's got to do it, but I'm not looking forward to bullying Oliver."

Oliver waves his hand in the air. "Dude, I'm used to it. What should we call you, man?"

The boy sighs. "Call me David," he replies. "And you shouldn't have to be used to it. I can't believe we were lucky enough to get a real life crutch user to be our main man. Derek would be so proud."

Ms. Dawson enters the auditorium and calls us to the stage. Oliver grabs his crutches and hauls himself to his feet to follow Sadie, David, and I up the ramp on the side of the stage. Once we're up there and we're all handed our scripts, Oliver elbows me. "I promise you'll find Courtney again," he whispers. "I will make sure you find her. She's out there, somewhere. All you have to do is find her."

I smile at him. "Thanks, Oliver."

He reaches over and pats my arm. "No problem, Hannah."