Hannah

"Mi casa es su casa," Oliver announces as he opens the door, motioning me inside. Derek, Courtney, Sadie, and David are right on our heels.

"Got any pets?" Sadie asks. "Sorry, I love dogs and I can't help but ask."

"Alita! Here, girl!" Oliver calls as he steps inside. A massively fluffy Samoyed runs into the room, bright blue eyes wild and pink tongue flopping out of its mouth.

Sadie's eyes light up. "She's so cute!" she squeals, holding out her hand for the dog to sniff. Alita takes one whiff of her hand and immediately begins trying to jump up and lick her face.

"That is the floofiest dog I've ever seen in my entire nineteen years," Derek remarks as the excited pup runs over to him. "I bet she's actually really skinny under all that fluff."

Oliver taps one crutch on the ground and grins. "Yep, if I weren't on crutches, I might be able to pick her up. Just so you know, you're welcome to let her sit on you, but be warned- if she sits on you, she will not only crush the part of you she's sitting on, but you ain't moving from that spot until she decides to move."

Mrs. Carowski enters after the rest of us and shuts the door. "There's an all you can eat buffet in the kitchen, there's video games in the living room, and the bathroom is just off the kitchen to the right. Also, there's Party Cards and other games in the basement."

"I'd rather stay up here with Oliver," I say. "But thank you. What do you say we go get some snacks, Oliver?"

Oliver pokes my leg with his crutch. "You really think I never go in my basement? Follow me."

While Sadie and David run for the food, Derek, Courtney, and I follow him to the basement door. He opens it, revealing a motorized lift chair.

"I can't believe you thought I don't go in the basement," he says, shaking his head. But he's smiling and laughing to himself, so I know he isn't offended. "This has been here for most of my life. I come down here all the time. Go ahead down. I'll follow."

The three of us head down the stairs, and Oliver follows right behind us in his chair. As the chair moves down the track mounted on the wall, he holds his crutches and simultaneously presses the control with one arm while waving dramatically like a princess with the other hand. I start laughing so hard I almost fall down the stairs. Luckily, Derek catches me right before I trip over the last step.

"You almost literally fell for him there, didn't you?" he says with a smirk.

I feel my face turn red and nod, managing a smile despite my embarrassment. "Let's pretend that didn't happen."

Oliver laughs and stands up again, gesturing to the far corner of the beautifully homey basement. "There's something my mom didn't tell you was down here. Sure, there's Cards Against Humanity over at that table, and there's a karaoke machine in the corner, but we've also got an air hockey table."

"I'm always down for a game of air hockey!" Derek exclaims. "How about we go at it right now? You and me, Oliver. Whoever wins moves onto the next opponent."

"Can this wait a minute?" I ask. "I want to get some food, but I also want to see this face-off."

"It'll take me a minute to turn it on," Oliver replies. "Go ahead. We won't start until you get back."

I head back upstairs to grab a plate for some snacks. Four kids are playing Turbo Racers on the gaming console, yelling and cursing at each other. I take a peek in the living room and discover they're playing the hardest level. I laugh to myself, almost feeling bad for them. I make my way out to the kitchen and check out the display of food. There's wraps, spring rolls, chips of various sorts, hot dogs, mini pigs in a blanket, as well as various desserts. I grab a few spring rolls, a handful of chips, and a couple pigs in a blanket and then walk over to the cooler to grab a soda.