Hannah

Ms. Dawson gathers us and the other performers in a circle onstage and announces we're going to do some warm up exercises.

"You don't have to do these if you don't want to," she says, turning to Oliver.

"No way," Oliver replies. "If I can't do something, I'll find another way to do it."

"Okay," she answers. "Don't hurt yourself."

Oliver rolls his eyes. "Why does everyone think that just because I use crutches I'm going to hurt myself doing any kind of physical activity? Bring. It. On."

It's clear that even though he claims to be "used" to the bullying he puts up with, he absolutely despises people assuming what he can and can't do. I just hope that he's never hurt himself trying to prove somebody wrong.

We spend the next five minutes stretching. I watch in awe as Oliver somehow finds some way to do everything the rest of us do. He is by no means a quitter, which is very admirable.

After we're done, Ms. Dawson hands us all scripts. "We're going to do a full read through," she announces. "Don't worry about being perfect too much. This is only your first time. Have a seat on the floor, everyone."

A few sophomores playing random villagers start the first scene of Act One. Everyone goes through their lines smoothly until we get to David's first line. He opens his mouth to speak, but no words come. He buries his face in his hands and sighs.

"I'm sorry, guys," he apologizes. "I don't like having to bully Oliver. He doesn't deserve it."

"It's okay, David," Ms. Dawson soothes him. She's a very understanding woman. I remember in my freshman year, she helped a junior that was forced to try out for the show by her parents overcome her fear of the stage. That girl went on to receive a full ride scholarship to a very prestigious acting school. "It's just a show. You aren't actually bullying Oliver."

"Hey, buddy," Oliver chimes in. "Just pretend I'm in my underwear. Or my head is a cabbage. I don't care. Just imagine me in the most ridiculous outfit you can. Or when you have to look at me and say something mean, don't look at me. Look past me and stare at something behind me. It'll still look like you're making eye contact with me."

David takes a deep breath and tries again. "'Hey, Enso, you said your name at any of your houses lately?'" he reads. His voice is surprisingly confident. He smiles a little bit.

"How did that feel?" asks Sadie.

"Pretty good," David replies. "Not as bad when I wasn't looking directly into his eyes." His smile quickly fades, however. "I still don't like being a bully."

"That was a very good suggestion, Oliver," Ms. Dawson points out. "Good job. Keep doing that, David. Remember, just because you play a bully on a stage does not ever mean you are a bully off the stage. You're a good kid no matter what."

After two more hours, we've read through the whole script. David still hesitated with a few of his lines, but he recovered quickly with help from the rest of us.

"We aren't going to work on music until next week," Ms. Dawson tells us, "but I'd like you guys to get familiar with the music in Act One until then. I have CD's of all the music to give you all. I want you to practice your parts for all the songs in the first act. Our next rehearsal is the day after tomorrow. I'll see you all then."

Most of the younger actors disperse, but Sadie, David, Oliver, and I stick around.

Oliver pulls out his phone. "I want to give you guys my number," he says. We all get out our phones and put his number in our contacts as he gives it to us. The rest of us share our numbers as well.

"I can't wait to practice 'I'm Not Broken' with you, Hannah," Oliver tells me. "I love that song. That's our big duet."

"'Winner' is your big solo," I answer. "Most of that song you're rapping and singing and stirring up a storm on your own."

Oliver grins. "You and Sadie are in there, too. And then we have an ensemble backing us up. 'I'm Not Broken' is my favorite, though. That's just you and me. I haven't heard you sing yet, but I'm sure you have the voice of an angel."

I feel my face burn as I blush. "I - I bet your voice is good, too," I stammer. "I'm looking forward to singing with you."

I reach out a hand to offer to help Oliver get back down the ramp, but he gently pushes my hand away.

"I'm fine, Hannah," he assures me. "I'll walk with you out to the lobby and wait until either my parents show up or yours show up."

"You're going to be waiting awhile," I tell him. "My mom is in a meeting until six."

"Well, I have an idea, then. Let's practice 'I'm Not Broken' together. Only once, though, because I need to look something up."

I agree, and we head out to the lobby. Oliver and I race to be the first to open the song on our playlists. He beats me to it and hits play. He begins singing his part, and my jaw drops. His voice is heavenly. Sure, Derek Anderson has a killer voice, but Oliver could easily give Derek a run for his money. He is so good that I almost forget to come in at the second verse.

After we finish the song, Oliver stares me in the eyes for a moment.

"You're amazing," we both say at the same time.

"You're more amazing," I say. "You're almost better than Derek."

Oliver shakes his head. "No way. You're more amazing. I thought you'd have the voice of an angel, but it's more like you have the voice of a literal goddess. I can't believe I get to sing with you."

Just then, David walks past.

"Hey, David," Oliver calls out to him. "Pinch me. I have to be dreaming. There's no way I'm actually going to get to sing alongside this amazing vocalist."

David reaches out and lightly pinches his shoulder. "Feel anything?"

"I'm not dreaming," Oliver says, his smile growing. "I actually get to sing with Hannah. This is unreal. I might as well be singing with Sholta's Broadway actress, Kaya."

"Didn't you say you had something to do?" I ask.

"Yeah, just give me a second. I have to recover from hearing that amazing sound. My ears have been blessed."

A few moments later, Oliver retreats to a corner and pulls out his phone. I watch as he types something into it and begins scrolling. He may think I have the voice of a goddess or something, but I think he has an equally incredible voice. I force myself to look away so I don't weird him out by staring at him, but I can still see his face when I close my eyes. Something about him makes my heart skip a beat. I can't tell what it is, but something about Oliver Carowski won't let him out of my head or my heart.