Oliver

"Don't try to tell me you don't have a crush on her, Oliver James," Mom says to me from the driver's seat as I'm chilling in the backseat, listening to music on my phone and imagining myself in a music video to every song. We're on our way to Albert's, and she keeps trying to get me to admit that I like Hannah.

"Mom, can we please do this at a time when I'm not listening to my favorite rock band?" I ask her. "I'm just trying to chill here. I don't want to do this right now."

My dad grins over the passenger's seat at me. "Admit it, then we'll leave you to it. Go on."

I sigh dramatically. I don't want to tell them how I really feel.

The truth is, I do like Hannah. I've tried to hide it, but I can't. The only problem is I'm pretty sure she'll go after Derek the second she gets a chance. I don't want to face that. I don't face the fact that a pretty popular girl like Hannah McFloyd probably won't go for the class cripple. But judging by her history of having crushes on crutch-wielding Broadway characters, maybe, just maybe, I have a chance.

But I don't want to hold out hope. Because hope can be a dangerous thing. I don't want to get my hopes up and convince myself that Hannah might want me only to have her run off with Derek the second she meets him.

"Oliver?" Mom prompts me.

I finally throw up my hands in defeat. "Okay, if I tell you how I feel, will you let it go?"

My dad nods. "Sure thing, buddy."

I take a deep breath as we approach the last traffic light before the restaurant. "Mom, Dad, I do like her. I've only known her for a week, but she gets me. She treats me with respect. She danced with me. She literally helped me dance without my crutches. It was the most amazing thing I've ever felt. I would give anything to do that again."

Mom and Dad share a knowing glance.

"I would have given anything to see that," Mom replies quietly. "I know how badly you want to be able to dance. I wish I could have been there."

I stare out the window at the passing buildings as I grip my phone in one hand. "I felt so free," I mutter. "No crutches holding me up, no jocks trying to steal them and beat me up. Just me, Hannah, and Chain Breaker."

Mom and Dad get real quiet. But I don't care. I was waiting for them to kindly stop talking so I can just be. A new song comes on, and suddenly, Hannah appears on the side of the road, following our car as we pull into the parking lot. She's wearing a silky blue dance costume. I watch with a smile as she leaps and twirls in time to the music. And then I hear the car door open on Dad's side, and she disappears. I know she was never really there, but in my mind, I could almost see her dancing.

I haul myself out of the car and follow my parents inside. Albert is standing right inside the door, waiting to greet customers like he often does.

"How's my old pal?" he greets me with a fist bump. "How's your show going?"

I give him the dates of the show, expecting myself to just leave it at that. But the next thing I know, I'm telling him about my dance today.

"She helped me dance on my own," I tell him, unable to hide my joy. "We danced together, just like I've always dreamed of. I danced without my crutches for the first time."

Albert smiles wide. "I'm so happy for you, kid. Don't let her get away. She'll be important to you. Even if you just stay friends, she seems like a nice lady. Don't lose sight of that."

He seats us, then I go up to get my dinner with Dad. This time, since my favorite isn't on the buffet, I decide to get some steak from the grille.

The guy running the grille is my dad's old best friend, Scooter. I don't have any actual aunts or uncles on my dad's side, so I just call this guy Uncle Scooter. And actually, Scooter is not his real name. It's Steve. But everyone calls him Scooter for unknown reasons. As he puts my steak on my plate, he grins and waves at me.

"Hey, Mr. Actor Dude," he says casually. "What's up?"

"Fit it into three sentences," Dad whispers to me. He probably doesn't want me to ramble about my dance with Hannah for an hour. He's hungry. I'm hungry. We all want to eat. But I just want to tell the world about Hannah.

"My friend Hannah helped me dance without my crutches today," I tell Uncle Scooter. "I felt so free. It was amazing."

He nods and clicks his tongs. "Good for you," he responds. "When's your show? I'll be there opening night."

I tell him, and he gives me a thumbs up.

We say goodbye, then head back to our booth. I check the time on my phone for some reason and am greeted with a text from Hannah. I know I'm not supposed to use my phone during meals, but I really want to check this. I decide to attempt to give my mom puppy dog eyes.

"Who is it?" Mom asks.

"Hannah," I reply, not breaking eye contact.

Mom laughs to herself and shakes her head. "Go ahead, then."

I open the message from Hannah. It's a goofy selfie of her and Courtney at the local Chinese place. I guess Hannah likes Chinese food. I wonder if she's ever been here?

You did this, the message reads. With a heart emoji. A heart emoji.

I'm at Albert's, I text her back. Glad you're enjoying her. It makes me beyond happy to see you so happy. You ever been here?

I wait for a few seconds for her to reply. She quickly answers me.

Oh, loads of times. That's where the cast of every show comes opening night. I'm glad you asked. Now I can tell you not to eat a big dinner on opening night. You have been warned.

I can't help but laugh to myself. I tell her to have a good time with Courtney and put my phone away.

As I eat my dinner, my eyes wander over to my crutches next to me. Hannah obviously sees something beautiful in my crutches and my useless leg. So maybe, just maybe, I should start seeing the beauty in it, too.