Hannah

Finally, after three months of hard work, we've finally made it. It's opening night, and we've got a full house. Derek and Courtney are going to make a few opening statements before we come out, but until then, we're waiting backstage for the curtain to rise in fifteen minutes. We're so nervous, but we're also excited. This is the moment we've worked so hard for.

"My whole family is here," Sadie says excitedly. "My aunt and uncle flew in from Florida to see this show."

"Cool," David replies. "I'm hoping someone special is in the audience tonight."

"Who is it?" Oliver asks.

"Just a friend. I don't know if they can make it."

We stay backstage chatting until the house lights dim. It's showtime. We hear Derek and Courtney go onstage for their speech, and the crowd goes nuts upon seeing Derek. Courtney begins by talking about how grateful they are to have been a part of our show and even gives me a shout out. Then she hands the mic off to Derek.

"Before we get started, I'd like to give a shout out to one of our actors in particular tonight," he begins. "As many of you know, Enso, the main character of this show, is on crutches due to a bad leg. Well, we have been fortunate enough to have a wonderful young man, Oliver Carowski, as Enso in our production. Now when you look at him, Oliver is just like the rest of our cast. Talented, fun, and a good kid. But what you may not know about him is that he uses crutches in real life. It has been our honor and privilege to have him in the star role. Please be sure to give him a lot of love. Can you do that?"

A roar of applause comes from the crowd, and when they quiet down again, Derek starts speaking again. "Alright, I knew I could count on you guys. Now, sit back, relax, and enjoy the show!"

The crowd breaks into cheers again, and the house lights dim.

"It's my cue," Oliver whispers to me. "See you out there."

I hug him tightly. "Go get 'em, Enso," I answer.

I watch longingly as he slips through the curtain, followed by David and some of the ensemble. Once the first musical number starts, I hear David's voice ring out loud and clear, even though he absolutely despises the words he's singing. It takes everything I have not to applaud him as the song ends, and he begins dialogue exchange with Oliver. I sigh, thinking how the moment I join Oliver onstage can't come soon enough.