Chapter 17

"It's so quiet," Fiona commented as she looked around. She, Steve, Hollie and Nick was sitting on the mattress on the floor in the living room of Steve's new house.

"It's nice right," said Steve.

"Yeah,"

The baby monitor on the floor beside them crackled to life, "it has to be E-6"  came Debbie's voice, "it's the only spot left big enough for a carrier,"

"No it's not," came Carl's voice.

"You're lying," said Debbie.

"Monica didn't even bother to read to them or tuck them in," said Hollie as she listened to Debbie and Carl arguing over battleship coordinates.

Fiona reached over and picked up the baby monitor, "she probably forgot to use Liam's ass cream too," she said.

"Yes it is, you're cheating again,"

"No, I'm not."

Fiona pressed the button on the monitor that let her talk to them, "Carl, go back to your room. Debbie go to sleep. School tomorrow." She told them.

"We're almost done," said Carl.

"Your both brush your teeth?" asked Hollie as Fiona held the button down for her.

"Yeah,"

"Yes,"

"Carl. Go. Now." Fiona said firmly.

They heard clattering as the game was put away. "Night Carl,"

"Night Hollie. Night Fiona. Love you," said Carl.

"Love you both," said Debbie.

"Love you too," said Fiona and Hollie together. They heard shuffling as Debbie got into bed and Carl left the room.

Fiona put the baby's monitor back but Hollie picked it up again after a moment, "and no reading under the covers," she said as she pressed the button down.

They heard Debbie sigh as she clicked her flashlight off.

Hollie put the baby monitor back down. Nick checked the time on his watch, "hey, we should get going now," he said as he kissed Hollie's cheek.

"Yeah, okay," she said as he stood up. She leaned over and hugged Fiona, "I'll see you tomorrow," she said before letting Nick pull her up off the ground by her arm.

"Bye Hollie, Bye Nick."

"Bye Fi, Bye Steve," they walked over to the front door and left. They walked down the front stoop and over to Nick's car that was parked out front.

|🚬|

Hollie hesitated as she opened the front door of the house and stepped inside. The kids were gone, off to school but she needed to grab something from her room.

Unfortunately for her, Monica and Roberta were in the kitchen and turned both looked in her direction when they heard the door open. Frank was there too but he didn't bother to acknowledge her.

She ignored the saddened expression on her mother's face as she walked upstairs to her room. Once inside she grabbed her leather jacket that was hanging on her bedpost and changed her black boots for her tattered red converse. She grabbed her claw clip from her nightstand and put it in the shoulder bag that she carried with her.

She glanced towards the door when it opened but averted her gaze when she saw it was Monica.

"Hollie?"