Chapter 24

Hollie was tiredly sitting on the steps on the back porch while Kevin dove bombed into the above ground pool. Ethel clapped for him when he resurfaced.

The commotion this morning when Fiona had been chased around the house had woken Hollie up and now she was awake and couldn't get back to sleep despite the fact she'd only gotten in at three in the morning.

"Ethel, come on," said Kev, "why don't you go upstairs and borrow a swimming suit from Debbie? Come in the pool,"

"I can go find one for you," Hollie offered.

"No thank you," said Ethel,shaking her head, "I wouldn't feel comfortable unless I was in my own swimming costume,"

"All right. Suit yourself, party pooper," said Kev.

Hollie noticed Fiona walking towards the house through the backyard, looking around warily. "It's alright slut, coast is clear," said Hollie, chuckling slightly to herself.

A woman named Lucy-Joe Heisner, Craig Heisner's wife, came by the house this morning and chased Fiona all the way to Sheila's with a bat and a baby strapped to her chest. She wanted to beat the shit out of Fiona for sleeping with her husband.

In all honesty, Hollie found the situation quite funny, she'd always been a fan of karma. She would never let anything bad happen to her sister but a little slap to the face never really hurt anybody.

"Who we dodging today? Bill collectors? Process servers?" Kev questioned as Fiona leaned against the edge of the pool.

"Mrs Craig Heisner," Fiona told him.

"What are you doing? You've been acting like a dude all summer," said Kev. Hollie stood up and leaned against the side of the pool beside Fiona.

"Oh, it's okay for guys to play the field but not me?"

"It's okay, you want guys to start running their dicks through the dishwasher after they bone you?" said Kev making Hollie snicker.

"Shut up," Fiona chuckled, turning towards the house she noted Ethel's outfit, "that's some serious UV protection,"

"I know. She won't loosen up," Kev sighed, "I worry that she doesn't interact with anybody her own age. Should I force her or what?"

Hollie shrugged. "I don't know," said Fiona, "we're just making this shit up as we go along,"

"How'd she find out? Lucy Joe?" Debbie asked Fiona as she came out of the house with the daycare kids.

"Jesus," said Fiona noticing Debbie's arm that was all red and flared up, "what is that, a rash?"

"What? I think it's from that laundry soap I got at the family dollar store," said Debbie, "made in China, probably tainted with melamine,"

"You're not going in the pool. We gotta show that to V."

"What about my kids?" asked Debbie.

"I don't have practice until later," said Kev, "me and Ethel can watch them,"

"I'll stay too," said Hollie.

"Ethel and I," Debbie corrected Kev.

"You and I are gonna go show this to Veronica. Let's go," said Fiona.

|🚬|

Hollie, Fiona and Debbie were walking down the street together eating popsicles after going to the store.

"Maybe I should give up some shifts and help more with the daycare," Fiona suggested. Turns out Debbie's rash was a stress rash from having too much responsibility placed on her with the daycare.