Chapter 41

With bags in their hands the kids begrudgingly followed Brittney Sturgis to the minivan. Jimmy's car pulled up behind the minivan and he quickly stepped out, "Woah what's going on?" He questioned.

"Department of family services is taking us away," Debbie cried, carrying Liam on her hip.

"What? Can they do that?"

"It won't last," Fiona assured, stroking Debbies hair affectionately. "You'll be back home before you know it," said Hollie, "what was it last time, a week?"

"Nine days," Debbie corrected.

"Twenty bucks says we're back in five," said Lip. He took Liam from Debbie as she climbed into the car before fastening him into the car seat.

"Can we get their placement addresses now?" Fiona asked Brittany who shook her head, "not until intake interviews with the children are complete," she told her.

"Who reported us?" Brittany ignored the question and shut the door for the back of the car before climbing into the front.

"Come on, who was it?" Fiona yelled frustratedly. Hollie held back tears as she ran a hand down her face. She couldn't watch the car drive away with the kids so she turned back to the house, breathing deeply to prevent her tears.

|🚬|

Waiting in the DFS waiting room time felt like it was moving three times slower than normal. Neither Fiona or Hollie had said a word to each other since they'd arrived, chowing to sit in a painfully awkward silence as they waited for their name to be called.

Hollie felt a sharp kick to her ribs making her bring a hand up to her stomach, putting a little pressure over where she felt it. Fuona glanced over at her younger sister, "you okay?" She asked quietly. Hollie nodded, "yeah, the little asshole just kicked me in the ribs,"

Fiona softly brushed her hand over Hollie's stomach with a sad smile on her face.

"Gallagher," Brittany called out as she stepped into the waiting room.

Hollie and Fiona stood up as quickly as they could and began to follow the woman, "I was hoping we could see Marilyn," said Fiona, "she's been our case worker for the last couple of years,"

"Well, uh, the turnover rate in our field is quite high," Brittany told them as she lead them over to her desk, "it's really a wonder Marilyn lasted as long as she did," Brittany sat down in front of her computer and Hollie and Fiona sat down on the chairs on the other side of her desk, "so how can I help you both?"

"Can you give us the addresses where the kids were placed?" Hollie asked hopefully.

"I already told you I can't give out any information about the case until intake are complete,"

"Come on," Fiona pleaded, "Marilyn always used to give us the information so we can know they're okay and get them stuff like books or clothes or whatever,"

Brittany sighed, "well that is a clear violation of policy in Marilyn's part," she said as she began to write something in a notebook.

Fiona quickly slapped her hand over the paper, "hey, I know you think you're helping but as people who have been in and out of this system their whole lives, we can both tell you it's a nightmare,"

"These kids have two big sisters who love them and we just want to make sure they're okay," said Hollie, "so give us something Britney. Break a goddamn rule."

Brittney swallowed, "I can tell you that I placed two together in one foster home and the girl in another," she told them quietly, eyes flitting around the room, "and the two older boys are in a group home,"