Chapter fifty - The weddding

Seeing the dressmaker finish the fittings of ife's wedding dress, a purple asooke gown embellished with rhinestones and a black corset over it.

"How do I look?" She turned and asked me

"So beautiful" I said with tears in my eyes

"Don't make me cry" Her head was looking up at ceiling in an attempt to not cry.

"Heyss, no ruining of my handiwork" said Mary,a celebrity makeup artist who is also a cousin of mine.

Her gele,a traditional head covering made from the same asooke was secured and with a few final touches to her face.
Ife's mom came into the room,we are in the spacious dressing room of the wedding hall, where the wedding reception is taking place in.
   She and Ovie did their marriage registry on Friday to save time and cut down on the hassle of doing everything on one day.

  The traditional marriage as it is called is about to take place.
There is a minimum of three dresses to be worn by the bride.
She is yoruba,an ondo indigene. Therefore the first attire for the day is an asooke dress,the one she has on. The groom's agbada,a yoruba  male garment is going to be of the same asooke while the black shirt and trouser will be of another different fabric.

"Ife" her mom stepped into the room and teared up as she saw her daughter. "You make a beautiful bride"
Her parents had to travel down from benin to Abuja. Ife and her mother never bonded as mother and daughter but the preparation for the wedding had provided some bonding time.

"Mommy" ife sniffs
Aii,ife the crybaby

"Hey,no crying" Mary warned sternly.

Mary and her apprentice were busy doing makeup for ife's cousins and friends that made up her asoebi girls or bridesmaids,they were seated in different parts of the room.

"Queen,are you okay with that lip combo?" She asked for the fifth time.

"Yes mary,I am okay"

"You girls should be quick,the reception has started" ife's mum announced,that sent the girls into a flurry of excitement

I was in front of the floor length mirror looking at my reflection,I brushed my hands down on the black dress I had on,it was fitted to my body. The style of the dress was quite simple but with a little cleavage and legs playing peek a boo, these slightly elevated it to sexy.

My hair was pulled in to a curly puff,on it was my lavender colored gele. Edges were laid,face was made up and my purple and red lip combo was popping.
"You look good" I said to the mirror me
A shriek took my attention from me,someone's lashes has been misplaced,surveying the room for the bride,I saw her hyperventilating at a corner.
I rushed over to her side and took hold of her hands.
"What's wrong? You're scared"

"A bit,maybe a little more than a bit"

"It is okay to be scared"

"What if I become a bad wife?. What if  ovie stops loving me?"

"Ovie is an idiot,he won't mind and also the sky has a better chance of collapsing unto us than for Ovie to stop loving you"

"That's true" she beamed

"Are you agreeing to your soon to be husband being an idiot or the fact that he is irrevocably in love with you?"

"Both" we both smiled at each other

"Do you feel better now?"

"Yes I do,calling one of your brothers idiot always does it for me"

"Witch"