1.Cali

I groaned at the piercing noises that sounded a few inches away.  I rolled to the left side of my bed, ignoring the fact that I was disturbing its untouched state and picked up my bright phone sure to squint my eyes as a defense mechanism. I let out another groan. I didn't know the time, but I knew it was early, too early. I blinked as I read the notifications displayed on the screen.

Seven Missed Calls
Cali

I darted up in full speed as I called her number back. I was already in my bathroom wetting my face cloth when she answered the phone. 

"Did I wake you?" I stared into space trying not to snap at her for the stupid question, but nonetheless answered. I lathered my facial soap on heavy, knowing I would be in the hot sun for a few hours straight, and I was not in the mood to look like a sweating pig. I hurried in the bathroom while still maintaining my breath on the phone. 

"I'm up now!" I forced out. "What's going on?" My question was serious, she wasn't an early morning caller, something must be on her mind. 

My relationship with my little sister was amazing. I told her everything- including the time I first shifted. I was a wolf. I was adopted. My parents thought they couldn't conceive and were about to give up hope when they found my mother, Rave, all teen pregnant and what not. He had found his mate and he didn't want to hang on to the memory of their mistake. My parents lived in a town where wolves lurked right under their noses...anyway, they adopted me before I was even born. My birth mother Rave still comes around every few months when I call her. She's like a big sister to me.

The first time I shifted I was scared shitless. It hurt like hell, and I was all alone. Except I wasn't. I guess the nearby pack heard my screams and they came to help out. The alpha, Antonio, commanded me to shift back into human form and him and his mate fed me and clothed me and helped me back home. I was supposed to join their pack but I was scared, I thought I was a freak. When I got home, I told Cali about everything. She thought I was lying and playing a prank on her until I shifted in front of her. She helped me from that point on suppressing my anger, and my animalistic urges. She was my anchor. And of course, being a werewolf big sister is awesome because I can kick any senior girl's ass that bothers her this year.

"You should come home." She spoke softly.

I frowned. I hadn't been home in a year but that was only for me to wrap up my high school life here and prepare for the big move. I was moving back to our state but in the city part of it. My dream was to be a magazine editor. I loved the aspect of fashion and colors and how you could make something so entertaining out of ink and paper.

"Is something wrong with mom?" My mom had a heart disease that sometimes flared up. I remembered back on how her diagnosis shook our family to the core, but in the last three years she had been in a bill of good health. I fought off the knot of depression in my core as I recalled that dark era. "No. I...I just need you. Please?" I heard the desperation in her voice, and I knew what to do. I smiled.

"Cali, you know I'm under so much stress about graduating. How could you even expect me to do that?" I knew I was going to be surprising my little sister with an impromptu trip back home like I used to do back when I first began driving.

"I thought you alread"-

"I'm busy. I'll call you back later. I need some sleep." I didn't wait for her to reply as I hung up. I was a terrible liar and I had just graduated a few weeks ago. I just forgot they knew.  I began stuffing my bag with enough clothes for two weeks. I shot a text to my dad letting him know I'd been home in a week, and I told him to try and sway her anger for a little while. He shot me back a "You'll be the death of me" but I knew he'd do it. The smile on my sister's face would make up for my horrible prank.

I had been away from home for two years now. I loved my family, but it was something in me that drew me further and further away from "home". I enjoyed being in the open space, being on my own and not having to check in. That was the reason I begged my parents to go to boarding school. We got to go on two international trips a year and we get to live around our friends all year round. I had a few friends around but for the most part I was the face you saw around campus but probably never spoke to.

I was walking toward my dorm when a person bumped into me, hard, making me drop my books.

"Ah!" I yelped as I fell down. I looked out to see a girl I hadn't seen before. I hadn't even seen her coming.

"Oh my." she stared at me for what felt like too long.

"Oh...kay." I said awkwardly as I began to scoop up my items. She began to help, but she kept eyeing me. I returned the awkward glances.

"Cynthia." she introduced herself as she held out my fallen belongings.

"Keri." I nodded. "Thanks."

"You're welcome." I turned to walk but she spoke again.

"See you at home."

"Home? I don't think we've...met." I turned back to her I confusion, but she was gone.

"Weird." I mumbled as I walked into my building, determined to pack now more than ever. Whatever was drawing me away from home, had just called me back.