A Tower

After Roman told me the details of the mating process, I was kind of keen on ignoring him. I know, I know I should just truly open and accept him anyway. He was made for me; he was literally designed to love me and cater to me and to even protect from all the terrors in the world. But I had always been a girl to move slow. I want to know everything before I commit myself. I want to make sure that I'm not signing a contract for a cable bill that I'm not even sure I'll want in a month. Not that Roman is like some HBO channel that I could pre-order...anyway. I just wanted to be sure. And in order for that to happen, I had to really think without the physical connection of our mate bond.

"Cara mi, are you avoiding me?" I tensed when I heard him behind me.

"No," I lied. I was currently in the library. I thought it'd be the last place Roman came but I was wrong. Of course. I closed the book that was in my hand and quickly tried to shield it from his view.

"I don't like being lied to." He traded walking closer. "What are you hiding there?" I stepped backward.

"Nothing." I lied again.

"Hmm?" He asked smirking. He launched forward and I ducked under his arm pushing him into the bookshelf as I ran to another shelf to put the book away into an empty slot only for it to be snatched out of my hand.

I flamed in embarrassment even before he began to read the title. His eyes widened. "How To Pleasure Your Man in 10 Easy Steps", he read aloud.

I covered my face in my hands and groaned aloud. "I told you it was nothing." I whined. I heard him take in a breath and before I knew it his hands covered mine and he was removing them from my face. "Cara mi, you don't need to read books about how to please me." My eyes followed his like a lost puppy. "You please me every day by simply being yourself. I wish you could see how much I care about you already, I am obsessed. " I cracked a smile at this.

"But I haven't done that before..." I trailed off taking my eyes off of him, but even out of the corner of my eye I could see his huge grin.

"You're a virgin?" he asked cheerfully.

"Oh don't tease me!" I scoffed. His face contorted into confusion.

"Tease you?" he grabbed my chin. "I'm happy that I get to be the one and only person who has had you. You are mine, forever and always. You were designed for me and me only. Your name was engraved in my heart from the moment I was born...I was destined to find you." he spoke genuinely. "You're perfect for me. I would never tease you about something you're embarrassed about."

I kissed him softly on his lips. "Thank you." he grabbed my hand delicately in his and brought me closer to him. "I want to show you something." he said softly as he breathed into my hair.  I nodded and followed as he lead me out of the library and back into the corridor. He took me up a few flight of steps and lead me to a cream and golden door. It was engraved with intricate details of loops and flowers that I didn't know the name of, but I just knew that whatever was behind the door would be even more beautiful than the actual door itself.

"What's this?" He smiled down at me and twisted the knob on the door.

The room was so bright that it took a second for my eyes to adjust to the sight in front of me. I walked further in and then I realized what it was. "Is this ours?" I asked in shock.

"I had them start reconstructing it as soon as I found out about you. They're just doing the standard construction, they're taking this wall out," he trailed off showing me where my walk-in closet would be. "This is the master bath," he said pointing to a room that was the size of my room in boarding school. "And this," he said opening a small door, "Is your tower."

"I have a tower?" I asked looking him in surprise.  He waved his hand in a "You first" motion. I let him hold the door open for me as I stepped in and walked up the spiral stone stairs. It was a tower surely. At the top, it was a clear opening that resembled a cave, but was decorated as a modern day balcony. I could see the entire pack grounds. I gasped in astonishment as I covered my mouth.

"Roman!" I shrieked running to hug him. "It's beautiful!"

"A secret get away for you, since I know you like to get away from the world sometimes, at least now you don't have to go so far." My eyes watered as I watched him watch me.

"You really care." I said stupidly. He blinked and smiled.

"Of course I do. You're my mine. You're my world now."

I felt a tear fall. "No Cara Mi, why are you crying? What did I say?" I shook my head.

"It's not you. You did nothing wrong. You've been perfect. I just can't believe it." I said allowing him to wipe my tears.

"What's so unbelievable?" he asked softly.

"That you would do all this for me." I said honestly.

"It's not believable that I'd do anything for the woman I love?" he asked tilting my chin so my eyes could meet his.

"Love?" I asked feeling the tears all over again.

He smiled down on me like I was a prize. "Of course!" He moved a piece of hair out of my face and spoke the three words that sent me into cardiac arrest..."I love you Kara."

My eyes widened and my heart constricted. He said it again. This time he said it to me. He actually told me he loved me! I stared at him with wide eyes and a closed mouth for what felt like an eternity just letting my mind race around the track of this idea that he had of me. Why did he love me? I wasn't anything special. I was me. I was doubting myself when it came to him, actually I doubt myself a lot when it comes to the people I....
     The people I love.

I took in a breath. He was watching me with a pained and curious expression. It pained me to know how much my constant mood swings and inconsistency feared him.

"That word scares me." I admitted.

"Not the ideal reaction..." He muttered looking elsewhere as his face reddened.

"No!" I panicked reaching for his hand. "I...I do. I just don't want to..." I paused looking for the words.

"You don't want to love me?" He asked with pain laced in voice as he removed his hand from mine.

"No. I do. I do love you or at least I think I do." I groaned. "I ruined this entire moment." I wiped my hair out of my face.

"Kind of." He admitted not hiding his disapproval of my reaction.

"I have never felt this way." I said honestly. His eyes found mine and he opened his mouth to speak. I put a hand up. He growled lowly and eyed me curiously. "I feel so much for you at once, it's almost impossible to decipher what I'm feeling. I've always been a reserved girl who didn't really think much of emotional ties and here I am in the most important one of my life with someone I know...sorta." I admitted.

  His face relaxed a tad bit but I could tell her wasn't sold yet.  "You look at me like I'm a prize...like I'm valuable...irreplaceable, and I believe everything you say. I believe that you mean it. But I question everything because I don't think that way about myself and I am scared that I'll somehow ruin this if I let my heart guide me. Because my heart wants to let go and be free with you but I've always put my mind first."

"And did you ever think that your mind is telling your heart to react to me like that?" He asked cocking his head to the side.

I closed my mouth. Have I ever thought of it like that? I shook my head.

"Kara. This won't work unless you trust and believe me. I love you. I want you. You are everything. I understand you have issues with trust that probably stemmed far before me but I'm your mate. I will be here through what ever comes. I am on your side forever and an eternity." I wiped my cheek and nodded. He opened his arms and allowed me passage to his chiseled chest. I inhaled his woodsy scent and my wold gleamed with pride.

"I love you Roman."