Wins and Losses

AUTHOR HERE! I JUST WANNA SAY THIS CHAPTER MADE ME SUPER EMOTIONAL WRITING; I LOST MY BIG COUSIN A FEW MONTHS AGO AND I'VE BEEN RUNNING ON PURE FUMES. I FINALLY GOT A CHANCE TO REALLY THROW MYSELF INTO MY WORK THEN BOOM, I LOST A FRIEND OF MINE TO CANCER. LIFE IS SHORT! TAKE ADVANTAGE OF EVERY OPPORTUNITY YOU HAVE TO MAKE PEOPLE SMILE, TO SMILE YOURSELF, TO BE KIND AND HAPPY.

| on to the story |

  I didn't need to look at her body to know she was dead. Her warmth that surrounded those around her like a makeshift blanket of love, had chilled. My stomach churned in loss. My skin boiled. I felt like someone had pulled a thousand rugs from under my feet, leaving me powerless, leaving me still, unable to breathe.

   I had never felt anger like this. I heard the cries of those I love behind me, fueling my rage. We were robbed; she was robbed. She would never meet my child. I swallowed back a wave of tears. I was encapsulated in my immediate grief; it felt as if I had stood in that spot all night- gathering myself, trying not to disappear, praying my eye had deceived me, wanting this to be that nightmare that leaves you in a cold sweat. I pinched myself, hard. I was awake. I then realized this was a nightmare, it was the nightmare...the nightmare of a twisted reality. Only seconds had truly passed since Lucina loosened her grip on Rave. I blinked at her lifeless body before snarling and lunging toward her with nothing short of murder on my mind.

She expected my attack, however she underestimated the power of my focus. My shield was intact which deemed her attacks useless against myself and the power of the pack who I was channelling. I stalked toward her, not hiding the anger I felt, watching her, I wanted her to see me see the panic in her eyes as she watched her men fall to the flame she set. To see the ones she loved fall victim to her own karma. I wanted her to suffer. She watched to the left and right of her, frantic as she witnessed my pack, the coven and many other alliances all coming together to defeat her. All undergoing loss. We were hurt and hurt people hurt people.

I was tired of living in panic every time I opened my door and left the comfort of home. Needing to travel in groups with surveillance. I trained my entire pregnancy, never being able to truly rest peacefully and now, my child sits in another woman's womb as I fight for its life. My sister mother, my blood, my Rave...my anchor was gone. She took her.

She was running from the ruins we were currently cluttered in. I was fast on her trail, she began to manipulate the nature around her to her aid, flipping branches to trip me, I surpassed them effortlessly, making sure to keep my focus on the goal, protecting my family.

All of this is to protect my family

I felt my power increasing, powered by this rage. I watched as she ran toward a dead end, I was simply entertaining her plight, dragging my revenge out. I was being kind. She knew she was going to die; this was her moment for last words.

"I...I just wanted my sister back." She yelled. "That's all."

She looked at me as I stalked toward her. She killed her sister today, and she pleads with me about saving a different life. A life that has more meaning to her than the life that gave life to me.

I did not give her the satisfaction of finishing her words. I didn't shift back to have one last conversation or petty argument, no. The time to talk was over. She had taken too much, gotten away too many times. Today was the last day she would hurt anyone else.

I lunged toward her, taking her neck between my canines and biting until the crackle of bones ceased and metallic, rose stained, blood dropped into the cave of my mouth. I bit down again, harder and harder until her head from her body. Only then, did I hear silence. Only then did I feel the real ness of what had happened. I felt myself feeling drained as the world began to shift focus. I wished to be home, on the reservation with my pack and our allies; safe. I yearned to be home. To be with everyone I loved. To be whole again.

I had no more fight in me. I had won but I was so lost.

I felt myself fall over, into the blood of Lucian, as I stared ahead now seeing my naked arm in front of me. I blinked, feeling the actual weight of my eyelids. I thought of being safe again before I swept away into darkness.

Home