Brunch

Roman has been perfect. I guess him seeing how bad my dad's words hurt me, made him more aware of his words to me, and in return his kindness has inspired me. No, I was not speaking to my dad at the moment, but I was speaking to someone else.

I sat at the wooden table of the cafe checking and rechecking the time on my watch. I had waited only ten minutes but I was honestly anxious.
She's not coming 

I sighed to myself deciding to give her another few minutes before I decided to pack up and admit defeat. I heard the familiar song of the bells over the door and I turned my head to look, locking eyes with her. She looked different now. Her hair was a bit longer now and instead of wearing it sleek and straight, it was curls in loose beach waves making her face look rounder. She was dressed casual and she looked flustered- glad I'm not the only one. She looked at me, her eyes widening for a split second before she swallowed walked towards me. 

"Hey," she said grabbing her chair and sitting down. 

"Hey, thanks for coming." I said honestly. I looked into Cali's eyes and for once in what seemed like forever, I saw my best friend, my little sister....I saw my favorite person in the whole wide world again. 

"I uh...I've been wanting to talk to you actually."  she said giving me a slight smile. "I didn't call you here just to meet Roman...I know it probably seems like forever ago when I called you, but I really did need you." I frowned at her words in confusion. What is she talking about? When I first got down here she told me about him before I even seen him. 

"I feel so alone some times," she whispered with her voice cracking as if the words were bursting out her without her control.

"Cali,"-

"No. I...I need to tell you." she said taking a breath. "I missed you so much and I didn't realize until I saw how happy and you were without me...I'm not like that. I need...I need constant reassurance and support and that's why mom and dad hover over me...it's because you're not theirs because you are Kare. You are our family. You are the glue that holds us together and no amount of blood or water can change that." she was full on sobbing by the end of her rant but I just stared at her with my mouth ajar feeling an overwhelming surplus of joy. 

"I...really?"

She sniffled and nodded, "I am a terrible sister. You found your mate and this entire time I've been an obstacle and...I can easily find another guy to pine after but you only get one mate from my understanding."

I stood from my spot on the other side of the table and engulfed her in a huge hug. 

"I didn't mean to cry before the food even got here but I couldn't hold it in." she said laughing. 

"Yeah well you are the crybaby in the family." I joked. She laughed along.

"Of course! I do it so well."

***

"So...tell me about him." she urged. I sipped some of milkshake and laughed before passing her the backwood that was burning my fingers. She took a puff before speaking again, "All the dirty little details I've missed out on." 

I sat for a second and pondered. Would this be awkward? She was watching me. 

"I'm over it Kare." she spoke softly. "I promise, I really am happy for you...Look Mom's not here and we need to be the dynamic duo now more than ever."

I smiled and nodded. "He's stubborn." I said honestly. "He's a hothead, always trying to fix something- he always has spare change to throw at any situation literally! He is infuriating and big headed"-

"Wow Kare he sounds like you." I stopped talking. 

"What?"

She laughed. "That is literally you. You micromanage every situation you can add your 'two cents' in. You are the most stubborn person I know, and considering our past...you know you are a hothead." 

I laughed, "But he is also caring, honest, persistent, he is so thoughtful and loyal. He would do anything for me and I'd the same for him. He is everything I want...in myself and in someone else."

"Wow....you're in love with him." she said smiling. 

"Head over heels." I confirmed. She took another hit. 

"I'm stoned." she said suddenly. I laughed in agreement. 

"I have an idea!" I said suddenly, thinking of the most perfect plan.