Understanding

"I...I'm gay?" He turned to me. His once golden skin paled in horror, his eyes which were once homes to blue stars, merely reflected the absence of the Blake that once resided there. I wished to hold him. To comfort him. I knew how he felt. A hug wouldn't help. The moon goddess made this pain to be unbearable, to be unmistakable and relentless. When you're not with your mate because they don't want you, your wolf yearns for them day and night. It's like the itch you can't scratch, dipped in fire and lava.

His mate was a man. He was a good looking man. He radiated power however, he didn't need it like most men who have it. He was fine either way. Power found itself to him. Looking him over, I would've never thought him to be Blake's equal but seeing them interact, even in tension and disagreement, their bond was undeniable. They were mates.

Was it a mistake? I haven't seen the moon goddess make one yet.

"I know it hurts"  he stared ahead. I heard him sniffling but he refused to allow himself to full-on cry. It was the Alpha in him no doubt. I wished I could fix this for him.

"Do you want a new mate?" He gasped as if I burned him.

"I." He closed his mouth. "I don't know." He said as if he was shocked with himself.

"Then we fix it," I said smiling at him. "Look, my love story was an emotional rollercoaster. I fell in love with my sister's boyfriend...and I don't regret a second of it- only that I didn't accept him the moment I met him"

I looked into his eyes. "Denying him will only hurt you."

He allowed himself to shed a tear. "I don't want him not to want me."

I nodded. "But he does. He has no choice. The only fear is if his pride is larger than his heart and soul."

He nodded. He stood to his feet and outreached his hand for me to take. "Come on. We have a party to attend."

***

I tried excusing Blake multiple times from the festivities. He ignored my plights, grabbing more drinks from the open bar as he drowned his sorrows. I felt for him.

"My wife." I turned to him. It was as if he would always appear to me as a picture. Always perfect. Always pure. His smile, the way it hugged his eyes when he was intrigued made me want to know what he was thinking. I wanted to live inside of his head. I wanted to know what made him, him. How was he so special from everyone else? How did he intertwine himself into my gravity here on earth?

"Husband."

He took my hand. "We have a dance to do." I followed him as he led me into the dance floor and into the arms of many memories of our encapsulated love with our own allied family.

***

The next few weeks after the wedding were quiet...too quiet. I stood from my seat at the table. We were meeting with surrounding packs who would be helping us take on the coven and Lucina. "They've been watching us. They know we're working the defense...they" I paused.

"They're channeling something here." I looked to Sadie, a witch from the coven. "I feel it." She turned to me.

"They're channeling the baby. They're...they're watching him."

"They're waiting forever me to have him?"

"No." She said. "They are waiting for your water to break. I read it. They can channel the water surrounding your baby. The moment your water breaks the connection from them and the baby will be severed. They're waiting for that moment."

"Then we give it to them." I smiled.

 I was going to find a way to get in front of this threat once and for all. There was nothing that angered me more than knowing there was a woman out there planning on stealing my baby to sacrifice him for her own selfish desires and wants. I could fume just thinking of how much I wanted to kill her. I hated knowing I could get this dark but I was proud of knowing, this village, my pack and all members included, were dedicated to protecting the future Prince.