Secret Garden

I walked through the dewy forest, being sure to step lightly over the wet moss that was encapsulating my feet. The sun was peaking through the trees, kissing ever so lightly on my face, making my skin warm with its rays. The wind was calm and light, bringing only comfort to the day. I was nervous about this journey. I was terrified that this day would go horribly. I thought of my men coming along with me and how I had once prayed for their safety, however, today...as I walked through the Forest of Redemption, I felt redeemed for all of the prices I paid in the past. I didn't fear what was next. With each step, I welcomed the feeling of home.

      The journey took three days in total. We started by traveling west of the pack, up the river beyond our territory, through the Silver Wolf pack and deep down the tribe of Aloas, the home of the people who believe they are connected to the sea. The last leg we were walking now was to find the secret location of the Hiros of Seldom. They were known for being an isolated coven. Though they were isolated, they were a strong group with strong numbers. They are known for being loyal, just and above all, they keep their word.

    When choosing a coven to ally ourselves with, I wanted to do my research; I spent long hours in the library studying, and teaching myself. I spent time with Roman's mom, learning how to manipulate my powers and manifest magic from essences around me. I looked at the multitude of trees and herbs around me. We were close. I bent down and picked the little plant that stared at me from down below.

"What's that?" Roman asking stepping alongside me. I eyed it.

"Blue vervain." I pocketed the sample and we fell into step alongside eachother. I ignored the complaints of the men in the back who were upset about not traveling in wolf form. This journey is not one of a wolf. I hadn't even wanted them to come, however, Roman insisted. I looked at him as he stare ahead, brows furrowed, back tense, as he radiated his protective aura around the woods. I smiled, my big Alpha, always on high alert. We passed over a small stream, which Roman carried me over, when I felt it.

"What's that?" Roman asking again, but this time he was clutching his chest.

I smiled as I looked into his eyes.

"That's love." I stare before me, into the clearing of little plants with blue specs. Blue vervain. I smiled.

"We have arrived." I announced.

~~

The coven did not reveal themselves quickly, in fact, we had to wander around the edge of the clearing until I tripped a loophole in their protective spell by picking a rather odd positioned plant. It was not in the field at all but poking out from behind a break in the clearing, growing right out of the door.

    I began to feel nervous. What if they don't want us here? What if they deny me? I shook off the nerves only when I saw her. She appeared first.

"You." I said in shock as I looked into the eyes of a familiar face. I remembered knowing her for years. It was as if she just appeared at school one day. She was always around but never close enough to talk to or have a conversation.

"Because we couldn't talk." she spoke as if she had heard me. She turned to Roman. "Wow. I've never felt a bond like yours." she looked at us back and forth, then at the men who were with us.

"I assume you've come to speak to the coven...you must have even more questions now seeing me."

"Well, Cindy"-

"Cynthia." she corrected with a smile as if she was not offended at all by the fact that I had overlooked her for years.

"Cynthia...I'm thrown off yes, but I did come here on behalf of my pack."

"Yes, you are the Luna now. Welcome." She swallowed. "Only you are allowed inside of the protection spell...and Roman."

Roman opened his mouth to argue but she cut him off, much to his distaste. "You must have mystic blood to enter. Your mom..."

I turned my gaze to Cynn, her eyes gazing into mine with a look I've felt with my family, but had only seen twice before with my parents...she was my family too. She smiled at me like honey sliding down the jar...sweet and slow. I returned the smile. My pack felt indifferent about not being allowed in; their pride was showing, but right now they needed to mind their business and let Roman and I do our jobs are Alpha and Luna...King and Queen. 

"Alpha," I turned to Jesse with cold eyes and a fire in my heart. I understood I was once an outsider to those born into the pack, but I was their Luna, and my word isn't supposed to be questioned- let alone constantly questioned. 

Step back and hold you position 

I held back no demand in my voice as I barked at him. He nodded, turned on his heel and slid into position without another word. 

"Roman," I called with my hand held out for him. He looked at me with his poker face; his power had grown as our bond did. I gripped his hand tightly. 

Trust me?

I looked at him expectantly, he smiled without moving his lips. His eyes lit in a way that only truth could speak- loud and bright.

I will always trust you

 Our men walked away, but not before swearing to come back, in wolf form, if we didn't communicate a message by high noon the next day. I had planned on returning home well before then. 

We turned to the coven. 

"You will need to share a secret...your biggest secret...in order to gain access. It must be your most truly shameful thought, action or secret. This is the only way to gain mutual trust in each other." 

The moment she said most shameful secret, my heart sank. Was I prepared to hear what Roman's was? Was he prepared for mine? I wondered...what was mine? Then it hit me, as a two-ton truck, of my worst feelings of self worth and depreciation, would. I blew out a shaky breath and faced Roman...he was not looking at me. I swallowed. 

What had I just walked into?