I Get You

I instantly pushed Roman away and swatted my hair down. "Dad, I didn't expect to see you here." 

"I can see that." he snapped uncomfortably. "So this is where Rave lives? A pack? I'm guessing."

"How did you get in here?" Roman asked interrupting us. "Did no one stop you?" 

He glared. "Oh yeah that blonde kid and the girl with the red hair made it nearly impossible to see my own daughter." 

"Clearly they didn't do a good job." he snorted. 

"Roman." I snapped. I turned back to my father. 

"It is a pack." I confirmed. 

"You could've told us that."

I scoffed. 

"What?" I walked toward the kitchen and he followed suit. 

"I can't talk to you guys about being a wolf." I said honestly. He watched me with anger blazing in his eyes. 

"How dare you?" 

"Dad, I can't." I repeated. "You guys don't get it. I don't even understand anything about this world. I don't know nearly enough to be good at what I am, and it's because"-

"Because of us?" he asked standing. 

"No, I'm not saying that. It's just...I grew up a human girl, but I'm not just a girl, Dad. I'm a werewolf. I am an Alpha. This is my pack and I have no idea what I'm doing or how to be good an I've had no practice because I've never had to. I didn't have to deal with this responsibility or weight until I met Roman." 

"He brought upon all of this distraction. This world he sucked you into is breaking you away from your life."

"I was born into this. He didn't suck me into anything. If anything he's teaching me how to accept myself for what I am instead of pretending to belong in a world not meant for me." I snapped back. 

He slammed his hand on the table. "You were meant for our world. We took you in! Raised you like you were our own, gave you everything and you still want more! Can't you just be normal for once?" he yelled. 

I gasped at the feeling that immediately ripped through my insides. His face fell almost instantly, he stepped forward, "Chimp, I didn't mean that"-

"Like I was your own, huh?" I laughed bitterly. "Well let me tell you something about my own, I know my own parents and they have never made me feel inadequate or wrong for being me. They accept me, and they never make me feel sorry for changing my mind or following my heart. I may not be the daughter you've wanted, or like you said, your daughter at all"-

"Kara"- I put a hand up to silence him. 

"But I've never ever made you feel like you were not my dad." I paused feeling myself get emotional and I immediately composed myself. "But today I see that you are not." I spat ignoring the croak in my voice as I said it. 

"Kara, stop it. I didn't mean it. I just got upset."

"Please just go." I said shaking my head. "I'm tired of fighting with you guys. All of the time. I can't do it anymore."

"If it's what you want." he said sadly. I nodded. 

"It is." He watched me with a sullen expression as he turned to the front door. I followed him and held it open for him. 

"Kara,"-

"Goodbye." I said quickly as I shut the door. 

I turned to see Roman by the stairway watching me with a confusing expression. "I'm fine." I said shrugging my shoulders.

"Kare..."

"I mean I always knew this day would come." I said opening the fridge and grabbing the carton of juice. I poured it into a cup and put the glass to my lips taking a sip. "I called it," I said meaning to joke but instead it was more of a miserable sob. I watched as Roman pushed himself off of the tan wall and shook his head as he walked toward me. 

"No, I'm fine." I said sniffling as I backed away from him.

"No," he said wrapping his arms around me and enveloping me into his warmth. "You're not fine." I nodded into my mate as I felt myself relax into his arms. 

"They don't get it." I said feeling immensely saddened thinking of my family.

"I know, baby." he said as he rubbed my back lovingly. He put he at arms length and looked into my eyes "I get it. Regan gets it. Rave gets it. Blake even gets it. Maybe they aren't met to get it...but that doesn't mean that there aren't people who do." 

I looked up into his eyes and felt  piece of myself warm up to him. I smiled through my tear stained face, "What?" he asked looking at me like I was an intricate puzzle. 

"I lost everything that I had, but gained everything that I needed when I came home and found you." His face showed a mix of emotions but instead he shook his head. 

"I found you. I was looking all my life, and you just came into town and I haven't been the same since, and I don't want to be. Today on forward, I will never make you feel how your dad made you feel; sometimes the men in your life will fail, we won't see your bigger picture, but that's because the picture to us...is you. We just see you, and we love you and we're so protective that whenever someone threatens how much of you we get, we get jealous and stupid and we say the wrong thing, but it doesn't mean we don't care; it means the opposite."

"I love you Woodpecker." he smiled and kissed my forehead. "Someone's been learning."