From Homecomings to Homegoings

I sighed, releasing the breath inside me. I was torn. I had been ignoring this side of my life, trying to ignore the pain associated with it, and the confusion it bore on my life and who I was as a person. I looked up at the traditional home with the olive green shutters. I smiled as I walked past my mothers' car in the driveway, remembering the day she got it from my dad as a birthday gift. She had been working so hard to afford it herself, but my dad decided to surprise her. At first, she was not happy at all. She was upset because she said it was something she wanted to do for herself, but my dad insisted, it was something he wanted to do for her, so she could finally splurge on herself, without any obligation. Once she understood it in his perspective (and after Cali and I called her ungrateful under our breaths for all of ten minutes), she broke down into tears of joy and demanded my dad went along with her on a test drive. Seeing her smile, was everything I needed in this moment and more.

I walked up to the olive green door and knocked three times, even though I had a key. I hadn't seen them in so long.

The door opened and I was looking at my mom's hair. It was colored an auburn color now. I smiled, knowing it was her fall tradition. She was distracted, "Cali, I don't know. Look on the sofa! It is your phone." she turned her attention to the door and her eyes grew double in size. She looked me in the eye for a millisecond before her eyes drew to my belly and her smile grew to match the size of her eyes.

"Kara!" She shrieked in glee as she engulfed me in her arms. "Oh I haven't seen you since the wedding! How was the honeymoon? How is the baby? Where's your husband? Oh! I do love Roman." she was ushering me inside as she asked ne this montage of questions. Cali overheard the ruckus and ran from the backroom to greet me in the kitchen.

"Kara!" she yelled running toward me. "I have not seen you in weeks! Since the wedding!" she looked at my stomach and her eyes widened. "Oh wow! Wolf bellies are huge!" she yelled as she took me into a big hug. I laughed at her and my mom's similarities. "How was the honeymoon? I know you said you guys were going to Dubai but I never saw you upload any pictures! You've been dead silent since the wedding."

I swallowed, knowing I would have to come clean. I had lied to them and told them that were going to honeymoon in Dubai. I knew that these next few weeks were going to be unpredictable, and I did not want them anywhere near the pack. I wanted them safe and home, away from anything magical that could harm them.

"We didn't go." I said simply. I walked past my mother and Cali and sat down at the dining room table.

"Why? Was it the baby?" I laughed bitterly.

I shook my head. "No." I said feeling my eyes feel with the weight of what seemed like endless tears. I blinked rapidly, trying, pleading with my soul to let me keep it together, but the more I think of how, just a few months ago, I was here with Rave telling her about my mom.

"Whats wrong? What happened?" My mom asked sitting across from me and taking my hands in hers. "Is it Roman?"

"No." I said sniffling. "A lot...a lot has happened that you don't know about...with my pack. There was a witch who...she wanted me and the baby. She cursed the entire pack...mom I thought they were dead. Roman I thought-" I gasped remembering the fear I felt shaking him, only for him to awake.

"I thought he was dead, but it was just a sleeping curse." I looked at them to make sure they were following me. I continued, "She took that moment to take me to her home...her hell. But my pack and I were working with our own coven and following the Wycan's direction and they...the coven found me, and there was a fight." I paused.

"A lot of people died." I wiped my nose. "Blake's mate died and he's...it's like he died. He can't even...be himself. He tries so hard but it breaks my heart seeing him so broken because I can't help him."