5. On the road again

Driving from Colorado to California was exhausting. It actually wasn't a bad drive I'm just  impatient. I put my phone on shuffle after going to my R&B playlist and enjoyed the sounds of Coco Jones, Tems and Sinead as I flew past the other cars on the e way. 

  I ate breakfast and decided I would skip lunch as motivation to get there faster. It worked because soon I was pulling up to my home. I smiled when I smelled my moms triple chocolate brownies fresh out the oven. My dad , who told me he quit smoking had lied and I could hear Cali on the phone talking about some project that's due tomorrow but she was too lazy to do it. I smirked as I undid my seat belt. I opened the door and let the gravel welcome me. I guess this place was Home-y.

I was at the door in a flash. I didn't realize how much I had missed it here until I was here. I used my key to unlock it as quietly as I could. My dad saw me and was hugging me in a flash.

"I've missed you Chimp." He said hugging me tighter. Chimp was his cute animal nickname for me. It used to annoy me but I was used to it now. It actually makes me smile from ear to ear whenever he says it. 

"I missed you too." I responded smiling. I looked behind him to see my mom always in tears as she walked toward me smiling.

She squealed. "It's been almost a year!" She scowled pulling back.  I smiled unfazed by her time reminder. 

"I'm here now." I said awkwardly. We chatted for a second and my dad brought my things up while my little sister stayed oblivious and on the phone. I knocked on her door. 

"Go away!" She snapped. I frowned as I opened the door. She turned toward the door to tell whoever opened it off but stopped when she saw me standing there with my arms crossed.

"Well is that anyway to talk to someone who drove 10 hours starving for you?"

"Keri!" She screamed as she ran and hugged me. I hugged her tightly as I felt the emotions run back to me.

"I missed you Bam." I said into her shoulder. I pulled back after a second wiping my eyes and I saw she did the same.

"I've missed you too!" She cried again.

"You're taller." I noticed ruffling her dark red hair. "And I see you found my old box dye."

"Not as tall as you, and yeah I cut it to my shoulders remember, but I looked too bland."

"Your hair is longer!" She squeaked. I hadn't noticed my hair was longer than a year ago. It was now to the middle of my back versus the under the shoulder cut I rocked before I left.

We were talking about life and school when my mom brought up a tray of food for us. I had forgotten to eat I was so excited.

"Oh shoot. I gotta call Blake." I said while I munched on my sandwhich.

"Who is Blake?" Cali asked smirking.

"My best friend." I said smiling. "He knows all about you. He'll be here in three weeks."

"I wish I had the honor of knowing about him." She huffed as she crossed her arms over her chest. I laughed at her mock anger and whipped my phone out.

Hello Keri

"Blake." I said smiling. "I'm here." I said obviously. 

Tell everyone I said hello

"Blake says hi." I said to my mom and Cali.

I miss you already. I have no idea what to do

"I miss you too." I answers honestly. I ignored the looks of my family. "Ask Rachel to hang out."

She's into another project. I guess I'm a loner now. This is your fault

I laughed at his over dramatics. "Well I love you and thanks for an amazing day today."

I love you too. Now catch up with your family. I think I'm gonna pig out and watch Netflix.

"Bye." I said hanging up.

"You two are on an I love you basis?" My Mom asked seriously.

"Mom. We are friends nothing more."

"I mean you're that age where your body"-

"My body works a bit different than yours." I snapped not wanting to hear it. "I'm sorry." I said afterwards when the silence extended longer than a second. "I wouldn't do that. One day I'll meet my mate and he'll be the only one for me. I can't entertain myself with a temporary forever that won't last." I explained.

"That's actually beautiful." My mom said smiling. "Way easier to keep you from having sex than this one" she laughed pointing at Cali. 

"Speaking of wolf. Do you know if you're going to join a pack down here?" she asked ignoring her. She turned beet red nonetheless. 

I thought about it. I had never been in a pack. Rave was a traveler. She had a sole pack that she checked in with every few years about 25 minutes away from here, but I didn't. I just...I wanted to be alone. I liked the simplicity of being a wolf and being alone as well. With a pack came rules and regulations. I didn't want to be forced by an alpha into following his rules. That's majority of the reason I loved boarding school. With distance came freedom.

"Not especially." I answer shrugging as I popped a cheese square in my mouth.

"But wouldn't an alpha feel threatened if you're just a lone wolf. Like that isn't considered odd?" Cali asked.

"Ill ask Rave. You been reading werewolf books again? I told you there full of bs." I answered brushing it off. I stuffed my mouth with some grapes and strawberries. She opened her mouth to say something else, I knew it was going to be jib at Rave. Cali was always jealous of my relationship with Rave. It always pissed me off.

"So what's the real reason you "needed" me?" I asked teasing.

She blushed. And looked at my mom who gave her a knowing look.

"What?" I asked looking between them.

"I have a boyfriend. I want you to meet him." I swallowed a grape whole.