Thanksgiving Day

It's a nice crisp day in Late Autumn, the temperature getting to almost below freezing.
It was also Thanksgiving Day. The day for Family, for celebration, and most importantly, stuffing your face full of all that delicious food.

Poor Vanilla had been up early to prepare it. Of course though, she had help.
"Vector, be a dear and run to the store for some carrots please?" She shouted to the Croc.
"Yes ma'am!" He grinned, grabbing his jacket and keys, rushing to the car.

***

"Ok, we got toothpaste, chao food, snacks to have in, what else did we need?" The yellow fox turned to his blue friend.
"Strepsils," Sonic reminded, croaking a little.
"Right," Tails nodded, turning around to find Vector stood there.

"Oh hey you two! Happy Thanksgiving! What plans do you have for today?" Vector greeted in is usual deep voice.
"Well, I'm going to my parents for dinner," Tails explained, "They said that Sonic could come but he isn't too happy about it,"
"They hate me," Sonic simply said.
"I'm pretty sure that they don't, they just think your a little... weird," Tails explained.

Vector could tell that Sonic really didn't want to go there, "Hey, if Tails' parents don't 'like' you, then come with me and have dinner with us! I'm sure Vanilla would love to see how you're doing!"

Sonic looked back at Tails, who just nodded. "Go. It's fine."
"Ok then," the blue span back round to the croc, "I'll come,"

The brothers parted ways, Sonic getting a ride from Vector, the croc grinning as he drove back to Vanilla.
"She'll be so happy to see you! She hasn't stopped talking about you to me, how polite you are, and how nervous you seem about making a mess of things. How much Cream looks up to you,"

He drove into the driveway, the two walking into the house, "Vanilla, we've got a special guest!" He grinned, Vanilla coming round the corner to see the hedgehog.
"Oh!" She seemed happy to see him.
"Hey-" Sonic confidently started, before Vanilla rushed over and hugged him.
"You look so much better from the last time we saw you,"

"Hey, it's only been a week!" Sonic laughed as Cream also ran over.
"Sonic! Have you come for Thanksgiving? Ohh!" She took him into the room, showing him her new plushie that she got for doing well at the dentist.

"Sonic? Would you like to take your scarf off? I can hang it up," Vanilla offered, but Sonic shook his head.

"No, I'm good thanks. As you can hear, I have a case of the ol' Strep Throat," Sonic laughed, but Vanilla's face fell.
"Oh my! That's really painful isn't it?"
"Naw it's fine. I've had it a few times, including when I had to fight Dark Gaia," he croaked, but the Rabbit wasn't convinced.
"If you need anything, ice, painkillers, ice cream, honey-lemon tea, anything. Just say, ok? We'll sort it out." She then disappeared back into the kitchen.

Vector tutted, "You can't seem to catch a break, can you kiddo?"
"Wha- me? No.. what makes you say that?" Sonic sarcastically said, bending down to let Cream place a crown on his head.

"Ok, it's ready everyone." Vanilla called everyone to the large table, Cream insisting that Sonic sat in between her and her mother.
"Ok," Vanilla smiled, "Vector, would you like to give a toast?"
"A toast," Vector grinned back, "To family. To the meaning of family. Wether that we're born into them, or found them along the way. They're always there to push us through, help us at our best, and to celebrate us when we are at our best," he sat back down, Sonic thinking hard.

Family

He knew that family was something more then what you was just born into.
It was those who you surrounded yourself with. He and Tails saw each other as brothers, and of course he had Amy and Knuckles. But something was missing, something he'd been longing for his entire life. Tails, Amy and Cream all had one, and he felt a little envious of it.

A loving Mother

"Sonic, are you ok dear?" Vanilla asked, watching as the blue zoned out.

"Yeah.." he stopped, "No.."
"What's up kid?" Vector questioned.

"It's just.." he sighed, "I never had a loving mother. I know I had Longclaw, but she was just a foster parent. And my birth mother.." he stopped after that.

Vanilla could see how hard it was for him to talk about it, and knew what sort of family he was born into.

"It's fine though. I have Tails. And even though he has his own family, he had me." Sonic continued, leaving it at that.

The room was silent for a few seconds, until Vanilla heard the bell from the kitchen go off.
"Oh! That would be the Pumpkin Pie!" She rushed off.

"Would you like some more Mac and Cheese?" Vector offered Sonic, how gratefully took the offer. He'd never turn down food.

Unless it was raisins

Bleh

Vanilla walked back in with the pie, cutting into equal slices and serving it out.
"Wow. I've never had pumpkin pie before, this is delicious!" Sonic exclaimed, Vector suddenly getting up from the table to turn to tv on.

"The parade's about to start, anyone want to watch?" He watched as everyone came into the living space to watch the brightly colored balloons.

Sonic wasn't all too bothered about watching the parade, if he was honest he found it a bit boring, so Instead he curled up on the couch and napped.

Vanilla looked over to see him fast asleep on the couch and snoring a little, and it warmed her heart to finally see him so relaxed around her.
She didn't know why, but he always seemed so on edge around people that he didn't know to well, almost like he was trying to get on their good side.

"Ok," she said, "I'm going to go and clean the kitchen up,"
Vector followed her into the kitchen, he didn't want her to do all that cleaning up by herself.

Vanilla quickly returned to the living room, "Charmy, listen. Wake him up, and you'll have to deal with me," she threatened, knowing that the bee would probably be loud.
She also knew how important it was for the young hero to get his rest, especially in the winter, where his body naturally wants to hibernate.

Poor Tails has to keep the heating on high all the time to prevent him from slipping into it.
Vanilla then glanced at one of her 'famous' blankets on the heater, warming up.
"Just in case," she pulled the blanket over the sleeping hedgehog, she couldn't stop smiling at how peaceful he looked.
Such a nice change.

"Don't worry," she stroked his head slightly, "I'll fill in the mother role for you,"