I promise...

"Why did you wanna come down here kiddo?" Vector questioned as him and Sonic walked up to the police station

"Because that other one that was with Infinite was taken here, and I've got a few questions I would like to ask them," he explained as the two walked up to the desk, the officer raising an eyebrow at the hero.
"We need to see the Ferret that was brought in the other day, it's pretty important."

"Eh, sure. Whatever, she's through there," he pointed to a door.

"Thanks for coming, Vector," Sonic admitted as the two walked to the cell in with the ferret was sat.
"Oh, goodie, visitors!" She giggled.
"You?" Vector realized, "You're the one we thought in Eggman's base back when that power drain thing went off,"

"Yes. And it was me that shot the big red guy," she hissed.
"It was you!" Sonic growled at her, and she retreated to the back of the cell.

"Now, now! We've barely even introduced ourselves, my name's Zurui... But it was Robotnik's idea," she affirmed, "but why are you here?"
"Infinite,"
"Huh?"
"What's going on with Infinite?" Sonic asked again.

"I would imagine that it would have something to do with this," she showed him a Phantom Ruby.
Sonic gasped, "It wasn't Infinite this whole time, was it?! It was some projection," his fur started to turn even darker, his quills pointing upwards

"Yes," she hissed, "It was me all along. I had to get payback, ok?"

"So that means..."

"You literally let nothing get to you!" She finally said, grinning at her enemy's suffering, that will teach him to mess up my bounty

"Woah! Sonic, clam down! We all knew what the Phantom Ruby could do, ignore her!" Vector yelled, but he didn't appear to even hear him.

What's going on? I can barely see or hear a thing, Sonic could hear the croc calling him, but everything was blurry and tinted in strange shades of red. Even his hearing seemed blurry, like everything was underwater. And it was getting worse

"Vector... help.." he finally said before his eyes turned completely white, his pupils nowhere to be seen as he barged past Vector and a few officers, who, of course, responded by taking their guns out.

"Stop!" Vector yelled as he pulled his phone out, "Don't shot! That's not Sonic, something's taken over him!"
But the officers just shrugged, running after the dark Möbian.

Zurui laughed insanely, and Vector angrily stuck his finger up at her, before rushing out of the building, trying to get a hold of Vanilla.

"Hello my darling! No time to explain, but you need to get to Station Square center, now!"

***

Tails had been about to get some lunch when his phone went off, Vector of all people had messaged, and he seemed frantic.

Tails eyes grew wide as he saw the picture that had been sent.

"Of course this was going to happen! How could I be so stupid! I pushed my best friend away, and now look what happened!" He rushed out the door, flying towards the city center.

Arriving at the Center, he noticed all of the G.U.N. cars barricading something, "That's a lot of squad cars," he muttered running to Vector and Vanilla, "what happened?"

"He find out the truth about Infinite, it was too much for him, and he turned into.. that.." Vector explained
"The truth?" Tails gasped
"Yeah. Turns out the Infinite that he kept on seeing was an illusion, created by someone just wanting payback," the croc finished.

"They're going to shoot Sonic!" Cream cried suddenly, her face saying it all.
"What?" Tails snapped his head back around, finding that about 100 G.U.N. soldiers crowding around Sonic, who was about as dark as the night.

"Stop!" Tails cried, "don't do it!"
"He's causing innocents danger," a soldier droned.
"No! He's not meaning to! He can't control it,"
"We've got to kid,"

Suddenly, a four-by-four rolled up, non other then Rouge and Topaz walking out, "Men, stand down," Topaz ordered, them all quickly obeying, "that is our hero, he's just... different.."

"Seriously, Tails. What is happening to him?"
"There's an old Möbian legend of that when emotional pain gets to much for someone to handle, it begins to show physically, until it completely takes over the person. If that's true, then Sonic has no control over his actions, that's his conscious," Tails explained.

"Then how do we stop it? A doctor? A therapist?" Rouge wondered as Tails began to walk towards his friend, "Tails? What are you doing you're going to get killed,"
"There's no way in Sonic's mind that he'd hurt me," Tails explained, Topaz signaling the the men to let him past.

"Hey buddy?" Tails called, "I know you're in there. Whatever's going on, we can do it together, I mean it this time,"
"You.. left me there Tails.." the dark form rasped, "You left me for dead. And then when I thought I saw Infinite, you did nothing but laugh and call me crazy,"

"I know. I need to stop pushing you. You'll heal in your own time, and I promise I'll give you as much space and time that you need,"
"Please, Sonic? Come back," Cream appeared, and Tails swore that he saw him turn a little lighter, "Mother will take good care of you, and Tails is your brother. He would never purposely hurt you,"

Nothing seemed to be working, and the soldiers were getting impatient, some even holding up their guns again.

Tails quickly without thinking ran other and hugged his friend. He hugged him so tightly. "Please, Sonic," he didn't let go, "I can't promise that I'll be there every time, but I'll do whatever it takes to keep you safe, just how you did to me," he felt a few tears fall onto his shoulder, and he looked up to find Sonic returned to his normal state.

"You promise?"

"I promise..."

The two turned to face the G.U.N. still crowded round, and Tails snapped at them, "Will you guys go away?"
Talking amongst themselves, they all dispersed under the command of Topaz.

"Hey, um.. look. I don't know who you want to stay with, but that's up to you," Tails started
"I want to go home," Sonic simply stated, "I miss being around you,"

Tails could tell that he was still pretty hesitant, and probably didn't trust him 100%, but they'd have to work on that.
After all, I wouldn't trust me either

He was just glad that they'd been able to get him back before it was too late