Goodnight Longclaw

"I don't wanna go!" Charmy squealed, ruining away from Vector
"Come on kiddo! Cream's going to be there, and Mike and Spencer, and remember that we're having pizza tonight!" Vector grinned, hoping to convince the bee.
"I want pizza now!"
"What, for Breakfast?" Espio asked, rummaging through a cupboard.
"Yeah," Charmy whined.
Hmm.. I wonder if Vanilla's having more luck with Cream? Vector wondered.

Having more luck Vanilla was having indeed. Cream had gotten up by herself and seemed quite happy to be going back to school, "Mother," she asked sweetly, "Since mr. Sonic missed my last day of school, can he come over so that I can tell him about my first day back?"
"Well, we're having pizza tonight and Vector's coming over. But that's up to Sonic dearie. But I'll ask," Vanilla smiled. She was glad that Cream had such a good friend like Sonic. Vanilla had to admit, the first time Cream had told her about her adventures with the blue hedgehog, she'd been worried about him. But after meeting the teen for the first time, Vanilla was surprised at how nice and gentle the hero actually was, and had trusted him with all her heart from that day on. It had gotten to the point where she kinda saw Sonic as her son, almost.

***

"Hey! There's Mike and Spencer!" Charmy exclaimed, practically dragging the poor croc over to them, "Hey! Let go, dad! I'm not a baby anymore!"

Vector gasped a little, a slight happy tear coming to his eye. Dad. He called me dad!
Charmy blushed after realizing what he called Vector, "oh, um. Sir, I meant sir!"
"Hey look, kiddo, you call me whatever you want," Vector told him, hearing Mike snigger a bit.
"That's really corny." He commented, earning a look from Spencer.

There was a few moments of silence before Vanilla and Cream ran over, the two adults linking arms and Vector kissing the rabbit on the cheek.
"Eww.." Charmy commented as the bell went off, the kids saying bye.
Karen had noticed the two lovebirds. She didn't want to say it, but ever since Sonic had helped save her precious baby, she's grown to like Möbians, and saw them more as people. They're a nice family that Croc and Rabbit. Always there for one another, no matter what.

"And what are you doing today my darling?" Vector grinned.
"Well, I gotta go up to Angel Island. Cream asked if Sonic could come after school, she wants to tell him about her first day back. I'ld message, but he never checks his phone. I don't even think he's ever even opened WhatsApp." She noticed the croc a little zoned out, "Hello, Vector, what's wrong?"
"Oh, nothing my dear!" He grinned, "It's just, Charmy called me dad today," Vanilla beamed from ear to ear.
"That's amazing sweetheart!" She smiled, happy for him. She knew that for a whole Vector had been hoping for the kid to call him 'dad'

***

Knocking on the door at Sonic's house, Vanilla waited a few seconds before hearing a voice shout "just a second" from the attic.
A few seconds later, there was a crash before hearing an 'ow,'
"You ok up there?"
"Yeah, I'm fine. Just a mirror falling over," a few minutes Sonic appeared at the door, covered in dust, "What's up?"

Vanilla explained what Cream had asked, Sonic happily agreeing. Despite what had happened just before she broke up from school being completely out of his control, he still felt bad about not being there for her. She had been so excited to tell him about all she had learned, all the art she'd done, and the bouncy castle they'd had on that last day.
He'd missed out on her excitement, and he wasn't about to let that happen a second time.

***

4.00 pm

"Would you like more tea Mr. Sonic?" Cream asked sweetly, holding up the plastic teapot. So far, they had dressed up as pirates, been to the moon, and had come back just in time for tea.
"Yes please," Sonic played along, shifting a little on the small kiddie chair.
After 'pouring' more tea, Cream ran to her toy box, "I'm bored of drinking tea now," she pulled out a pretend doctor's kit, "I'm a doctor now! And you can be my patient," she then continued do her round on Sonic, gasping,
"Mr. Sonic you are very ill, you must go to bed," she then led him to her bed, instructing him to lay down, before the two heard a knock at the door, "oh good! Mr. Vector is here with Charmy!"
A few moments later and Charmy thundered up the stairs and into Cream's room.

"Shh!" Cream scolded, "this is a hospital and Mr. Sonic has broken every bone in his body!"
"That bad, huh?" Sonic smirked.
"I brought some cookies," Charmy held up a bag, "Do you want some, Sonic?"

"Yes please," Sonic went to take one, but Cream moved the plate away.
"Mr. Sonic you are to ill to be eating sweet things!"
"Oh," Sonic seemed just a bit disappointed.

Cream played doctor for about half an hour later, to the point where Sonic was covered head to foot in band-aids.
"I think I'm better now," he tried to get of the bed.
"No mr Sonic! You cannot move yet!" Cream informed sternly.

"Pizza's here kiddos!" Vector shouted up the stairs.
"Woo hoo!" Charmy raced down the stairs, quickly followed by Cream and Sonic.

"My, what happened to you?" Vector laughed.
"Broke every bone, apparently," Sonic returned, sitting himself at the table, Vanilla offering some pizza slices and some fries.
"What's Tails up to toady?" Vanilla questioned.
"Uhh.. some invention," Sonic wasn't all to sure what, but he was sure that 'invention' would cover it.

After eating, Cream turned the tv on, settling down to watch the My Little Pony movie.
"I don't know why, but I feel a connection to the police pony," Sonic commented. He couldn't shake of that feeling that he'd heard that voice before.

After the movie, Cream started getting ready for bed. Vector and Charmy had gone home, and Vanilla picked a book from the shelf to read to Cream.
"Cream, do you want me to read Green Eggs and Ham tonight? Turning around, she found that Sonic was also eagerly sat on the couch.
"Yes please,"
"Ok, well then. Get comfortable I supposed,"

"Thank you, Sam-I-am" Vanilla finished, slowly closing the book, "Let's go to bed then.. Cream.." but turning to face Cream, the girl put her fingers to her lips, motioning to Vanilla's other side.
Sonic was asleep, snoring gently.

"Ok," Vanilla sighed, "Let's go to bed, Cream." Nodding, Cream silently walked up the stairs, followed by her mother.
Once she was settled, Vanilla went into the cupboard and brought out one of her many spare blankets, bringing it downstairs and pulling it over the sleeping hedgehog, who stirred a bit.
"It's ok. Go back to sleep, I'll tell Tails that you're here," she propped a few pillows behind his head, smiling gently, "Goodnight, Sonic. Sleep well,"

Nothing could have prepared Vanilla for what Sonic said next.

"Goodnight Longclaw,"