Lost & Found

Tails sighed as he scrolled through his phone, bored out of mind. He wanted to do something with Sonic, like in Summertime, but it was mid-November, and it was freezing.

Station Square had always been a warm place to live in the Winter, but because of pollution, these last few Winters had been freezing.
Sonic hadn't taken the cold to well, he was quite nesh to colder temperatures. Tails assumed that it was because his fur wasn't all to thick.

Tails stopped when he came across an ad for a fireworks display, "I bet we could get there on time if we used the Tornado, it's only a few states over," Tails muttered to himself, just as Sonic came flying through the window from his afternoon run.
"Hm?"

"You wanna go see some fireworks?" Tails asked, and Sonic got excited, running around like a little kid.
"It's.. nice to see you back to normal. Or.. however normal that is.." Tails told him, "We'll have to go now if want to get there on time,"

Sonic dashed into his room to grab his scarf, and Tails ran to get the Tornado ready.

***

A few minutes later, and they was up in the air, and Sonic was already shivering.
"You know there's heating in the seats," Tails asked, giving him a look.
"But you don't get the thrill of the feel from there," Sonic protested, staying on the wing.

"Ok. Just don't blame me if we crash and you break you ankle again," Tails mumbled, remembering a journey that got them stranded on the old Death Egg.
"Eh," Sonic shrugged as Tails landed the plane in a field.

"I think that it's just over here," Tails pointed, and Sonic smiled.
"Lead the way. I'll admit, I haven't been here, and I have no idea where I'm going."

Eventually, they found the packed grounds, just as the first few was set off.
Sonic seemed completely engrossed with the show, so Tails decided that it was probably safe to go get a drink without Sonic completely freaking out that he'd gone.

"Sonic, I'm going to go and get some hot chocolate, ok? Just.. stay there, ok?"
Sonic nodded, so Tails ran off to quickly join the queue. Despite Sonic almost being back to normal, Tails wasn't to sure how he'd react to being alone. After all, he'd never done well with being alone to begin with.

"Woah!" Sonic exclaimed, "That was a big one! Did you see it Tails?" He looked around, no fox. "Tails.." he asked again, uncertain.

"Oh no! He's gone to the backrooms!" He shouted, rushing off to try and find his friend.

"Ok, I've got the drinks and.." Tails looked around, "Ah, crap! He's gone," he started wondering off.
"Sonic!"

***

"Tails!" Sonic shouted, "where did you go little buddy?" He wondered around a bit, no luck.

He suddenly felt something pulling on his quills, and turned quickly in surprise.
"Hey!" It was a child, no more then the age of 7, "I know you! You're Sonic!" He clapped his hands in excitement, his mother coming over.

"Oh heh! Um.. do you mind if I get a picture with my son? He really looks up to you," the mother asked.

"Oh, uh.. sure," Sonic smiled for the picture, before the two said goodbye and left.

Chaos, I wish that I had that as a kid

***

"Come on," Tails desperately searched through the crowds, "You'd think a blue hedgehog with a glowing gemstone shard should be easy to spot, wouldn't you?"
But no, nothing but a sea of humans in the darkness.
"Sonic!" Tails called again. No, nothing.
"You'd better be okay," Tails sighed, beginning to feel a little nervous being by himself.

***

"Okay, I think that I might be completely lost," Sonic admitted to himself, shivering. We had wet, cold, muddy.
It had felt like days without Tails, but Sonic guessed that only 20 minutes or so had passed.

Eventually he found a bench to sit on, I guess that I'll have to wait for Tails to find me,
A couple that had been sat at the other side gave him a look, before recognizing his face.
"Hey, would you like that, it's Sonic," one of them said, Sonic turning to face them.

Immediately he recognized their faces, "Bones? Finn?" Sonic asked, "What are you guys doing here? I haven't seen you since the parade,"

"We moved here," Bones announced, their partner nodding, but looking concerned.
"Are you ok?" Finn asked
"Me and Tails came here for the fireworks, but we kinda got separated, and I might be lost. I've never been here before and there's too many tall people to see where I am," Sonic explained, Bones wrapping a blanket around him.

"You looked freezing," They explained.
"I am," Despite only meeting once before, Sonic felt comfortable around the friendly gay couple.

"I'm going to try and find his brother, you wait here with him," Finn decided, wondering off.

"We heard about that terf outing you," Bones said quietly.
"You did?"
"Yes; and honestly, slay brother!" They laughed, before turning serious again.
"But again, in all honesty, if she hurts you, I'll kill her for you.. oh look, Finn's already found your friend!"

"He was looking at mints," Finn sighed, Tails running to Sonic.
"Thank goodness you're here. I told you where I was going," Tails explained.
"Really? Hm.. can't remember you saying.

"That's because you was to engrossed with the Fireworks," Tails laughing, Sonic blushing.
"Hey, it doesn't matter. We found each other in the end. But it's getting late now, and you look like you're about to catch your death," Tails handed him the hot chocolate he'd got him earlier, "Let's get out of here,"

"Yeah," Sonic stood up, taking the blanket off, "here,"
"No, you keep it. Honestly, that's why we carry them about," Bones laughed, putting an arm around Finn who returned by hugging his partner, and Sonic smiled at how happy the two was.

"See you 'round," he said as he left with Tails, knowing very well that that would be the last he would see of the two.

Those two helped me face my fears of coming out. I owe them a lot. If it wasn't for that day, Amy would still be chasing me around and we would have never got to know each other properly as friends. Thanks again you two.
Sonic continued thinking as the two friends flew into the night sky.
That's what life's all about. Moving on, taking every part a step at a time. Or at least, that's what I figure