Season Three Episode Fourteen

They had decided the small grouping of trees was their best bet

They had decided the small grouping of trees was their best bet. The landscape for as far as the eye could see was flat and unprotected.

Anneli had taken the first shift as she was unsure if she could sleep anyhow.

She had always been a 'picky sleeper' as her brother had called it. Couldn't sleep in landspeeders, trains, or even shuttles. The only moving thing Anneli could sleep on was cruisers, much to everyone's surprise. Anneli thought it was because they had actual beds and it didn't feel like it was moving. What she didn't understand was how people could sleep when they weren't comfortable.

The bark digging into her back, Anneli adjusted against the tree. Next to her, Conlan shifted slightly.

He was laying on his side with his arms crossed against his chest. His back was pressed up as close to Anneli as he could possibly be without touching her. She thought it was strange how he had fidgeted about until his back was pressed against something.

Bored out of her mind, Anneli made the light of her flashlight dance around on the ground. Balancing the flashlight between her knees, Anneli wondered if she could make shadow puppets. 

She was halfway through figuring out how to do a tooka cat when a bloodcurdling scream echoed through the night. A low growl followed soon after.

Anneli jumped to her feet, the flashlight clattering to the  ground.

Conlan jolted awake into a sitting position before clambering to his feet. "Are you alright?" he asked immediately, looking at her. Although he had just been sound asleep, his voice nor his posture contained any signs of fatigue.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Not sure whoever made that noise is alright, though." Anneli picked up her flashlight as Conlan flicked on his two headlights.

Another scream, though not as loud as before, seemed to drill its way into Anneli's brain. It sounded like a child. And that growl had sounded like a large beast.

She didn't like the combination. Anneli took off running in the direction of the noise.

"Anneli!" Conlan yelled before running after her. "Anneli, come back!"

Anneli ripped through the tall grasses, searching desperately for the owner of that gut-wrenching scream. The light from the flashlight bounced every which way as she ran, only occasionally shining on something useful.

She could hear Conlan running after her, crashing through the crops.

A faint thought bounced around the back of Anneli's head: The farmer sure will hate us now.

Then Anneli heard a deep growl, and whimpering. Up ahead was a clearing in the crops.

Crouching low, Anneli stepped carefully to the edge of the crop line. Slowly, she pulled her blaster out of its holster. Anneli stepped out into the clearing as quietly as she could, scanning for any sign of trouble.